Pre trip stress loads

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think a lot of it depends on what you do for work. I have friends who can just walk away and don’t have to worry about getting things done ahead or someone covering their workload while they’re gone.

I’m a licensed customs broker. I have to get stuff done ahead for while I’m gone. If I don’t, there will be hell to pay from the bosses. When I was gone for a 3 day diving trip in Lake Huron last summer, I worked 36 hours in the 3 days before I left. At least my dive buddy was driving so I was able to nap a bit in the car on the drive out. It’s just insane.

Of course you're not alone. Many who can afford those multi-thousand-dollar liveaboards are business owners, and I'm sure they stress before (and during) a trip. Others who can afford such trips are retirees who sold a business. Hang in there, and maybe you can become one of the latter.

I'm leaving for a cruise with the wife tomorrow. It'll be our first cruise and our first time diving in the ocean. We're bringing our own equipment. I've spent the last month and a half training someone to cover for me (IT on call 24/7/365). They're freaked out, i'm freaked out, it's great. Normally my wife is the travel agent, but this was my present to her for getting certified, So I've been learning to book cruises for the first time, hotels, and airlines. The airline were using has a 40lbs weight limit. did you know that the average amount our equipment weight per person is 39 lbs on my bathroom scale which may or may not be accurate, and that's when it's dry. Tipping... do I have enough, what's the right amount even if I do. Will I just find a taxi at the tmap airport, or have to call for one. We're also leaving the 4 kids at home with various relatives for the week. We got told that at yesterday's doc appt. that the 3 year old has to have eye surgery on the 5 of Feb. I really need to get that video camera for the house before we go so I can make sure the 17 year old who's taking care of the fish and cats doesn't have friends over... yeah... I don't think you're alone... but I've got to go now, too much to do... too much to do...

This past summer, I worked 50-60 hrs/week the 2 months before my annual Cozumel dive trip to get my workload in order. The day before my flight, I picked up a college friend at the airport and we had dinner with a few other buddies about an hour away. Got home around 9:00PM, finished packing and got to bed about 11:00PM. Woke at 2:00AM to drive to the airport and catch my flight (Friday). Arrived in Coz about 12:30PM and had booked a refresher dive for that afternoon.

Saturday: 2 AM dives and a night dive
Sunday: 2 AM dives
Monday: 2 AM dives

Had some knee issues before the trip and it was bothering me that day. Had some trouble getting off the boat and I sat on the pier to rest for a minute. 10 minutes later, I realized something was very wrong. Had another guest call the manager who called an ambulance and I spent the next week doing 7 chamber rides for Type II DCS.

In retrospect, there were several factors that caused the illness even though I was diving Nitrox on an air setting on my computer and was well within NDL on every dive. Slow ascent rate with a minimum 15ft/5 min safety stop (usually longer).

Stress from a large workload before my trip
Little/no rest immediately before my flight
Dehydration (No alcohol but I didn't drink enough water)
Overweight/out of shape (My knee issue kept me out of the gym for about 6 months and I had gained almost 30lbs - probably stress eating was a factor also)
Trying to pack as many dives as possible in a short amount of time

Lesson learned - vacation is for relaxing. Don't try to do too much. Drink much more water than you are used to. Stay in shape with a regular exercise program. Don't stress myself out immediately before the trip.

To OP you are most definitely not alone. Its been at least 4 years since I've taken a travel/diving vacation (I have done staycations during that time), mostly to eliminate the stress you're referring too. I don't recommend it, but I did what I had to do.

I'm ready for a change.

For your enjoyment if you dont like reading long stupid posts move on if you have time for one heres my story
And how cool is this.

Im going to start at what I hope is the end. Next Wed i will be lounging in the sun on Bonaire hell or high water snow or ice.

Last week was possibly the busiest week my shops have had. This is good normally but something im not sure I want as I get on an airplane. This week has tapered off and it should be a normal flow for them.

Friday or Sat my cold went to defcon 5 went to the doc on Sunday and am now on antibiotics along with my wife and one of my sons. We are all improving fast now. Was not ideal but we have time to get over it.

Yesterday after giving up on my family to accomplish anything on there list of needed to do without me doing it I went and got our passports out of the saftey deposit box. Mine lives at home with my dive certs i wont be held back from getting on a plane last minute on a weekend. My middle sons is missing. He took a trip to Cambodia last year and its not back with the rest of the families. He's to busy to deal with family crap since he moved out which is great however he didnt return any of my calls of text till mid day. Yesterday we could have done a 3 to 5 day emergency passport proceedure today we got to do the overnight which is really a 3 to 4 day proceedure only a **** TON MORE MONEY. This is a process i dont recomend anyone get familiar with.

My wifes been hunting a new BCD for a couple of years. Since Dec shes tried on 50 of them from here to the Canadian border almost with no luck. Two weeks ago we hit one last dive shop that has been on the wrong side of traffic for us since this started. She tried on a few BCDs but with great reluctance from her and the dive shop guy I got her to put on an APEK BPW that happpened to be her size. 15 minutes later shop guy reluctantly has bolted a tank adapter on it strapped a tank and weights on it and she has without a doubt found what she said is the better fitting BCD than anything she could imagine. I watched as she buckled it down snug and moved around and new for a fact nothing ive seen her put on fit like this. They telll me they can have everything needed here by last Thursday. ITS NOT HERE today one thing was on backorder and they just gave up. Until i found everything on Amazon with two day delivery. Its now going to be here by the end of the week im told. Its funny how often theres no solution until you are going to unwind something and buy it elsewhere then theres a plethora of options. This is life I was skeptical that any local dive shop could get me anything in less than three weeks without gods help. But its quite possible she willl experience a dive without her tank beating her up or dragging her feet. Shes short with some obsticales up front:)

today after a long day of really lousy customers and dealing with getting my sons passport in motion. I came home took a bath and stated to my wife. Doesnt matter one week from today I'm swimming with the fishes. My colds alll but gone my sinus is clear and we were reallly busy which for fact wont hurt anything.

I hate the planes, the associated booking, the constantly changing rules of airlines, TSA (though it.....maybe.....is helping keep us safer), and of course the baggage gorillas. I USED to be able to carry all my photo gear in carry-on. Now a lot of has to go in check-in. To keep weight down the luggage has to be much lighter and softer. I have to pack everything in foam and bubble-wrap. They just pull it all apart to check it. I get it....but it still sucks.

15 hour flights are no great relaxation either. You get exposed to damn near every germ in existence in airports and planes. There is just about no better way to spread disease from everywhere to everywhere else.:banghead: :shocked:

Apologies if this rant adds to the stress. :confused:

about a week before a trip, i start suffering pretty severe anxiety, specifically about catching a cold or getting ill. I feel like I become hyper sensitive to my own body, which just makes things worse. I'm just worried about finally having some time to do something I love (I live in a place where local diving is basically not an option for me) and it being ruined by something out of my control. Obviously worrying doesn't help any, but I can't help it!

I hate the planes, the associated booking, the constantly changing rules of airlines, TSA (though it.....maybe.....is helping keep us safer), and of course the baggage gorillas. I USED to be able to carry all my photo gear in carry-on. Now a lot of has to go in check-in. To keep weight down the luggage has to be much lighter and softer. I have to pack everything in foam and bubble-wrap. They just pull it all apart to check it. I get it....but it still sucks.

15 hour flights are no great relaxation either. You get exposed to damn near every germ in existence in airports and planes. There is just about no better way to spread disease from everywhere to everywhere else.:banghead: :shocked:

Apologies if this rant adds to the stress. :confused:

That’s why I don’t fly unless I absolutely have to. The whole flying experience is just too effing stressful. That’s why I have no problem driving 13 hours each way to do my ITT in Ontario in August. Then there’s the 8 hour drive each way to the Straits of Mackinac in June and 10 hours each way to Tobermory in July. I love my road trips.

Today went well my wifes bcd is ready. My personal need to be there holding my crews hands at work is minimal as of this afternoon, I have to remove myself from the long game early on or I’m involved in to much stuff when I leave so now I’m a high paid janitor so to speak. My colds wrapping up my sinuses are clear. My sons passport paperwork landed where it needed to be early today so we will know if it’s on a plane headed this way tomorrow one thing an $800 passport offers is pretty solid communication from the middle man. Im going to sleep well tonght at least it feels like it.

Keep your kids in your activities as much as possible when there young it’s hard to accomplish as they get ten things of their own in motion, this is our first trip with all five of us in many years.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom