Combining diving in Africa (possibly Sardines run) and safari

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sbiriguda

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Is there a place you would recommend to make a safari trip to see african animals and to go diving as well? South Africa would be the main place to go, but honestly I really have no idea about the distances within the country which is obviously quite big. Perhaps in other countries like Kenya or Tanzania the same thing would be possible.
Thanks

I'm not making recommendations per se, but some possible options in South Africa:

-Dive False Bay (off of Cape Town) and go on safari at Aquila, a private game reserve (2hr drive away). Big Fish Expeditions runs a trip doing that combo: South Africa Great White Shark Diving Expedition. Diving with great white sharks, makos, blue sharks, cat sharks, sevengill sharks, tiger sharks and blacktip sharks. Air Jaws! | Big Fish Expeditions
-Dive Aliwhal Shoals (near Durban) and go on safari in Hluhluwe–iMfolozi (3hr drive away).

Dive Aliwhal Shoals (near Durban) and go on safari in Hluhluwe–iMfolozi (3hr drive away).

Good start!

I would suggest heading to Aliwal Shoal/Protea Banks to see some sharks etc. and then make a trip up to Sodwana Bay (about 500km give or take ~5/6hr drive).

We normally dive with these guys in Aliwal: Home | Blue Ocean Dive Resort but there are plenty operators in the area..

Sodwana has some beautiful reefs and Marine life, and there are several safari parks in the area. You could check out Hluhluwe-Imfolozi and Tembe Elephant park.

Sodwana Bay

Feel free to PM us if you want some top-notch advice on diving in Sodwana :)

Thank you very much you are helping me a lot because I really didn't know where to start from

From some videos I noticed that in Aliwal Shoal/Protea Banks there is also the Sardines Run. May I ask which month of the year is the best? How many chances are there to see it, is it relatively regular or does it take some luck? Also, my wife doesn't dive and I would like to ask if it is possible to do only snorkeling or even watch it from the boat. Anyway SHE will watch it from the boat, this time if I go to South Africa I won't miss the dive of a lifetime

As for safari I don't really know about it, here in Italy the most famous is Kruger Park as far as I know, which is quite far. Anyway the Hluhluwe - Imfolozi sounds also very good from what I read online

I am assuming (and of course I could be wrong) that you are talking about a photo safari, not a hunting safari.

If you are talking about a photo safari, there is a Canadian landscape photographer by the name of Brendon van Son who recently did a trip to southern Africa (the trip was mostly in South Africa, but he did get to some of the bordering countries as well). During this trip, he did a lot of wildlife photography. He has a YouTube channel that might give you some worthwhile pointers.

I am assuming (and of course I could be wrong) that you are talking about a photo safari, not a hunting safari.

LOL
Yes you are correct, only pictures no bullets
Thank you for the link

Thank you very much you are helping me a lot because I really didn't know where to start from

From some videos I noticed that in Aliwal Shoal/Protea Banks there is also the Sardines Run. May I ask which month of the year is the best? How many chances are there to see it, is it relatively regular or does it take some luck? Also, my wife doesn't dive and I would like to ask if it is possible to do only snorkeling or even watch it from the boat. Anyway SHE will watch it from the boat, this time if I go to South Africa I won't miss the dive of a lifetime

As for safari I don't really know about it, here in Italy the most famous is Kruger Park as far as I know, which is quite far. Anyway the Hluhluwe - Imfolozi sounds also very good from what I read online

I can recommend you dive at Sodwana Bay. From there you are also close to the Emfulozi Game Reserve which is home to the African big 5.

For Sardine Run you can stay over and dive from a town called Port St. Johns, there you can also visit the Addo Elephant Park.

Send me a message then can i provide you with contact details for accommodation, dive charter and game drives in the reserve.

Thank you very much I appreciate
I will plan carefully the trip and will contact some of the persons you reported to get some direct info

Back
Top Bottom