Looking for instructor in Clear Lake/Houston area for refresher (been out for 10 yrs)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tank29

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Due to life I haven't been able to dive for 10 years, but I finally have the opportunity to get back into diving! I'm super excited, but I definitely need a refresher course (or two).

All of my old contacts have apparently moved on (shop closings, etc), so I'm starting from square one with instructors. Does anyone have recommendations? I don't want a rubber stamp and a hearty slap on the back. I'd like someone to make sure that I'm checking the right boxes to get back in to water safely: for my sake and my buddy (whomever that may be).

Thank you for the help!
Tank

All of my classes to date have been through PADI, so I'm leaning towards that, but I'm mostly interested in a high-quality instructor.

Unfortunately, I don't have any recommendations for you in Houston, but if you're willing to travel a little, I can highly recommend Extended Range Diving Services. They are based in NC, but also run regular trips to Pompano Beach, FL. My buddy and I have taken several courses with them over the past several years and they are exactly the kind of instructors you are inquiring about. Like you, my buddy started over with them at OW after a 25 year hiatus. We've trained with them in both NC and Pompano and found them to be extremely knowledgable and thorough.

I got my OW and AOW at Sugarland Dive center. Nice people, pool on site, PADI. I still dive with them from time to time.

I have moved over to Oceanic Ventures. SSI, no pool on site, in kind of a strange place. I have started working toward my DM cert with them (I think SSI calls it dive leader not DM). I switched to them because they are a little closer to my house but mainly because they are more active in the more advanced certs. They do a good amount of OW but also do several classes a year in other stuff.

My goal is to go deep and dive wrecks and they have staff members and other clients that are actively diving these disciplines. So it’s easy to get into a class and find other like minded divers.

Either of them would be a good choice to get a refresher course.

If you want a real refresher involving skills, we would be happy to help.

We do refreshers and the normal PADI courses up to TEC 50. We are also actually the only PADI TecRec certified center in the Houston area.

For refreshers done in the pool, we integrate the student in an open water class. For refreshers in open water, we include all open water skills. We also provide subsequent refresher tuition for free, you just have to pay for any equipment you don’t have.

Back
Top Bottom