http://www.diveheart.org/

SCUBA Research Paper

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

....disputed topics or topics that are mostly based on opinions but many people don't know much about the factual information behind.

Those are the words in the encyclopedia under the picture of nitrox.

Starting with not spelling it “incorrectly” as Nitrox (or NitrOx), how it began as a tool and evolved as a marketing device, the absolute social disregard or ignorance of the scientific application, the high level of emotion propelling the social allegiance.

It is a ubiquitous topic up to the “beginner 80% level” of social discussion,

Edit: I will not actually be doing my own physical research on a topic, but rather combing through various sources and research that has already been done and putting them in conversation with each other to come to a conclusion about the topic.

So nitrox is the perfect topic.

What you are proposing: no research, internet searching, encouraging conversation, and expecting a conclusion?

Isn’t that Eienstein’s definition of insanity? Doing the same thing repeatedly and expecting different results?

Tilting at windmills.

There are so many wonderful things to talk write about.
  • Plastic pollution in the oceans
  • Diving in the movies vs. reality. For example, 47 Meters down
  • People's irrational fear of sharks and the importance of sharks in the oceans
  • Why do divers use Air/Nitrox/Trimix? What are the reasons for them
  • DCS - What are the causes and symptoms and how to treat

I can go on all day but there are so many wonderful topics. I guess if I was you I'd focus my attention on a topic that matches my major.

The aging of the US scuba diving population. The average age of scuba divers seems to be increasing as fewer new divers are certified or, once certified, remain active. Connections to reef degradation? Expenses involved? The digital device revolution?

@SeaTriskeLion, what’s your degree in or your topic preference. Do you prefer something technically oriented or maybe about diver’s opinions on a subject?

I am a Psychology major, but I would like to go into a field working with animals such as in a zoo/aquarium. The paper doesn't have to be directly related, but hey if I can put it on my resume that I did a research paper on a related topic, that's a bonus I guess. :p
So, probably something that is more factual than opinion-based. I know I mentioned opinions at the top, but what I meant by that is a topic that perhaps most people ignore the factual evidence that's out there and mostly go by word of mouth or opinion - that way I could bring the factual evidence to a focus on a topic worth doing that with.

What you are proposing: no research, internet searching, encouraging conversation, and expecting a conclusion?

Isn’t that Eienstein’s definition of insanity? Doing the same thing repeatedly and expecting different results?

Tilting at windmills.

Haha, unfortunately as much as I would love to actually do the research myself, this is a course on Research Writing, meaning they're teaching us how to "read and analyze scholarly material critically, evaluating ideas, evidence, logic, and sources," and "interpret research and scholarly materials toward constructing a well-documented research paper."

Thank you so much for the suggestions and input so far! I'll write some of these down and do a little digging on them. Feel free to keep the ideas coming! This paper is going to be 10 pages long, so whatever topic it is needs to be something that can survive a discussion that long. :p

Dive computers have made diving much much easier to dive safely today (if used correctly). I would find it interesting to read how these computers have changed or not changed/impacted the population of people who are taking up diving.

In addition it would also be interesting to hear if computers, integrated air and non-integrated air, are causing more safety issues if divers become unsafe by not thinking and letting their computer do all the “safety” thinking for them.

No what you write on, I’d love to read your paper. When is it due?

Another more general topic...... Why are people attracted to scuba diving? Why do people continue to dive or stop diving?

If you're interested in statistics, do a comparative study on the number of dive accidents per year in relation to the length of the classes required for openwater Scuba, the various agencies, and add in the accident ratios with the inclusion of new equipment... common Octo, no more j-valves, spg, inflatable bcd, dive computers, ditchable weights, etc. to see if any single piece of equipment shows a numerical reduction in the accident/fatality rate. Fatal accidents should be reported...not sure about dive accidents.

Have dive computers significantly reduced the number of DCS hits?

Do SOLO divers have a higher fatality rate?

A timeline overlay would be interesting to see.

I believe DAN or PADI (maybe both?) retains an annual dive accident report log but I don't know how far it goes back.

Good luck,
Jay

No what you write on, I’d love to read your paper. When is it due?

The final draft is due on March 19. Yeah, if you guys are interested I can keep you updated and somehow make the paper available for you to read once it's completed. I don't want to put a 10-page paper in a forum post, but I could probably provide a link to it.

Back
Top Bottom