"Our hearts are heavy this morning with the passing of Ray “Poppa” Odor, aka, the Lobster Mobster."

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CuzzA

Wetwork for Hire
Reaction score
Florida Skin Divers Association

Our hearts are heavy this morning with the passing of Ray “Poppa” Odor, aka, the Lobster Mobster. Ray is now back with the love of his life, Shirley, whom he was married to for 54 years. Born in Bradenton Beach, Ray took up diving after returning from World War II service. No one had yet invented scuba gear for the masses, so he and his brother rigged up makeshift oxygen equipment using welding tools and materials available to them from doing ship repair. They called it the “Odorlung”. Not long after, Odor and a friend opened The Tampa Skindiver on Gandy Boulevard, which for a time was Tampa's first and only dive shop.

Ray was long time member of the spearfishing club Tampa Tridents. Ray was the definition of an “Old Salt”, a true waterman. In 1989, he and some friends took more than their share of lobsters during sport season and they landed themselves a 40 day stay in the Key West Hilton. There he penned a few lines to a song that earned him the nickname, “Lobster Mobster”. For many years, Ray made spearguns, shafts, stringers, kill spikes, PPDs, and pole spears from his “shop” in the backyard of his home in Lutz, Fl. If you ever visited Ray for some shafts or a new stringer, he would always show you his incredible collection of shells and diving memorabilia in his home. Long into his 80s, Ray dove the waters of Gulf of Mexico and Tampa Bay on his boat the “Shirley O”, and always had a generous and thoughtful personality. He set an example on how to live life and treat other people that we all should pay attention to. Fair winds Ray…….we all will miss you very much!!
I had the privilege of meeting the legend in August 2016. Ray gave me the tour of his home and shop... Spent the better part of an hour telling me stories, sharing newspaper articles, awards and trophies. And of course hooking me up with some gear. Pretty cool to meet the man who started it all in Florida.

Ray.jpg

Fair Winds and following seas, Ray. You were a character.

He was definitely a character. His stories were amazing. There used to be a video of them shooting Jew fish back in the day and if I remember correctly he was using a regulator off of an oxygen / acetylene cutting torch.

He was definitely a character. His stories were amazing. There used to be a video of them shooting Jew fish back in the day and if I remember correctly he was using a regulator off of an oxygen / acetylene cutting torch.
I recall a story that they were using 100% O2 as no one knew about Oxtox back then. At least not for recreational divers. There was a non fatal incident and they learned to start pumping their tanks with air rather than welding oxygen.

Ray was a founder in our sport. Taught me many things and always was a friend. He will be missed by everyone.

wow. Very sad news.

Sad news. I never got the opportunity to meet him in person, but conversed with him many times online. Great guy and a huge influence in our sport. He will be missed.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom