Reef friendly sunscreen and hair products

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

(continued here because of character limits)
  • Conditioning Shampoo and Body Wash, 6 ounce, $12.95. This one also has a light, sweet scent. I think it's fruity. I'm not sure exactly what, but I really like it. Acknowledging that it is an all-in-one product, I didn't have high hopes for this product. If you're into product that gives a nice lather and lots of foam which makes you feel clean, you won't get it here. I'd say this is a better body wash than shampoo but I am also someone that has straight, thick hair that is now at my bum so my needs are probably much more than most people. I have mixed feelings about this product. I like it as a body wash and it works as a shampoo but I don't love it for that. However, I continue to use and buy it because of the minimal environmental impact. Similar to the sun and sting relief gel, it's quite a runny product and not very viscous. Coupled with the large hole in the packaging where you dispense, it is difficult to control exactly how much comes out when you dispense it. It's a very purposeful and pre-planned operation where you flip upside down quickly, get just the right amount, and flip it back up to prevent extra product from coming out. You don't even have to squeeze - it just comes out. I feel like the packaging could be better here in that a smaller hole be used so that so much doesn't come running out at a time. Usually, the opening gets covered and I wipe the excess off to use before closing the cap. I still like the story here and will likely buy the 32 ounce to use at home and refill the container when I travel. I don't have dyed or treated hair and am quite low maintenance with this stuff. Using it every day (body wash and washing my hair) for 3 weeks, I still had a little leftover.
  • Leave-In Hair Conditioner, 6 ounces, $12.95. This is one of my favorite products from S2S. It is also a light, sweet scent. I've probably used the most product here along with the Shampoo/Body Wash. Again, my hair is thick, straight, and to my bum. I used this 3 times a day and after 3 weeks, I still had a little left. Not only is this an amazing leave-in conditioner, it also makes an amazing surprise....shave cream! I used this on my legs and armpits every day. No nicks, cuts, etc. AND my legs felt super moisturized after. :) I LOVE it. I didn't bring anything else to use with my razor. I use this product in the morning when I get up right before I go diving. I wet my bum-length thick straight hair with water before tying it up into a bun because it gives me a tighter/better hold when I do it wet.. It stays that way for the whole day through 4-5 dives of giant strides or backrolls before it comes down at night right before I wash it. (Thank you, Goody Spin Pins!) I run this product throughout my hair because it makes gathering wet, thick, long hair super manageable and "glide" into a bun much easier. When I'm ready for my shower at the end of the day, I apply this and do the full shave every single day. Why? Curses, because I have thick, dark hair on my legs and can't hide them if I skip a day. I then put this on after towel drying my hair. Does it make my hair as soft and shiny as something that is not biodegradable and coral safe? No, but those products are chock full of silicones and a bunch of other gnarly product. This works well for my needs and I'm looking to get the 32 ounce pump for home and will refill my tube when I go on trips.

I taped down all the tubes before traveling. None leaked. I lost some tape on the way back and didn't have them taped but had them in a reuseable bag checked in my bags just in case. None leaked. There is no doubt there is a premium price for this product compared to regular personal care products. There is a lot of research and development costs into making a product along with its packaging. This is a premium I am happy to pay if it means that future generations can appreciate and enjoy what we have been so lucky to enjoy. Thank you for sharing this with the world, Stream2Sea. I really hope that more people will be conscious about their product decisions and of course, I am telling anyone that will listen about these products. :) I'm hoping to get my hands on their new cherry lip balm to try next.

I hope this helps. Please let me know if anyone has any questions! :)

I’ve placed my order for two of the products but after reading your much appreciated review I think I will add the tinted sunscreen.

One question, no matter how environmentally aware a product is, its got to be effective. I take it that it worked well as a sunscreen for you. No burns?

I’ve placed my order for two of the products but after reading your much appreciated review I think I will add the tinted sunscreen.

One question, no matter how environmentally aware a product is, its got to be effective. I take it that it worked well as a sunscreen for you. No burns?

Hi, @uncfnp. No burns! (Though my hair did get much lighter in color after 3 weeks in the Filipino sun! I'm all for the natural hair coloring! :D) I think that is not only a function of how effective a product is, but also how diligent the person using it is. Upon exiting the water, I reapplied immediately and ensured that I was well covered in sunscreen. I also tried to wear a rash guard and other sun protection as much as I could because not needing as much sunscreen is better.

I've never had a sunburn using sunscreen because of this diligence. Additionally, I have always been a much pickier purveyor of sunscreens - before S2S, we used only European or Japanese chemical or chemical/physical combo sunscreens because they are much better than American sunscreens available, both in photostability and UVA/UVB protection, PPD, etc. We never used spray sunscreens because of how wasteful they are both in the packaging and actual product when most would end up elsewhere and not on the skin, or when applied unevenly. So often we have seen people burned after using spray sunscreens or even liquid applied ones - uneven coverage or not enough, or not having applied again after sweating or going into water, or not applying after a certain amount of time due to photostability.

Hi, @uncfnp. No burns! (Though my hair did get much lighter in color after 3 weeks in the Filipino sun! I'm all for the natural hair coloring! :D) I think that is not only a function of how effective a product is, but also how diligent the person using it is. Upon exiting the water, I reapplied immediately and ensured that I was well covered in sunscreen. I also tried to wear a rash guard and other sun protection as much as I could because not needing as much sunscreen is better.

I've never had a sunburn using sunscreen because of this diligence. Additionally, I have always been a much pickier purveyor of sunscreens - before S2S, we used only European or Japanese chemical or chemical/physical combo sunscreens because they are much better than American sunscreens available, both in photostability and UVA/UVB protection, PPD, etc. We never used spray sunscreens because of how wasteful they are both in the packaging and actual product when most would end up elsewhere and not on the skin, or when applied unevenly.
Thanks. I have a bad history of negligence when it comes to skin care in general and because I typically tan not burn and grew up in the no sunscreen to actual tan accelerators (I had a friend that used oil to tan faster) generation, i never developed a good suncreen discipline. All that changed when I hit my 50s. I even have a pair of fingerless sport gloves for diving. I found in Bonaire my hands would get a tan that would end at my wrists. :eek:

Thanks. I have a bad history of negligence when it comes to skin care in general and because I typically tan not burn and grew up in the no sunscreen to actual tan accelerators (I had a friend that used oil to tan faster) generation, i never developed a good suncreen discipline. All that has changed when I hit the 50s. I even have a pair of fingerless sport gloves for diving. I found in Bonaire my hands would get very dark that would end at my wrists. :eek:

As the saying goes, it's much better late than never! I also noticed my hands get the wetsuit tan so I have been trying to be diligent on using sunscreen on my hands, too. Many places do not allow gloves for diving so that is my way around it. I also try to get rash guards and UPF shirts that have thumbholes so that it at least extends over my fingers on a surface interval. Another option is to wear one while diving underneath your wetsuit or in lieu of a wetsuit if you run warm. (PS ExOfficio makes a great product called the Bugs Away Sol Cool Kaliani Hoody for women that has thumbholes. It has xylitol build into it with an amazing soft, cool to touch hand to the fabric and keeps me cool even in super hot weather. It has UPF built into it as well as impregnated permethrin so it keeps mosquitos and bugs away. I LOVE it. The impregnanted permethrin only lasts through 70 washings so I don't dive with it. I also only wash it when it really stinks. They come out with it every spring/summer in a few colors. There is also a coral color in addition to the teal one below...and also a blueish one. I wear it on surface intervals and also for hiking/general travel, especially where sun and mozzies will be an issue.)

ex_officio-wmns-bugs-sol-cool-kaliani-salt-hth.jpg

(continued here because of character limits)
  • Conditioning Shampoo and Body Wash, 6 ounce, $12.95. This one also has a light, sweet scent. I think it's fruity. I'm not sure exactly what, but I really like it. Coupled with the large hole in the packaging where you dispense...
  • I'm hoping to get my hands on their new cherry lip balm to try next.
I hope this helps. Please let me know if anyone has any questions! :)

WOW - how did I miss this earlier?? Thank you so much for your amazing review and honest feedback @outofofficebrb! I agree with you completely about the orifice size on the shampoo and gel - we are getting a smaller size on the next production run...

The SPF 20 does spread a little better than the 30, and in my opinion, does just as good a job protecting the skin unless you are super pale. The way to make minerals spread better is by adding more oil to the formula. The challenge there is that then it feels greasy, causing masks to slip, etc. If its cold or dry, your best bet is what you already suggested... apply moisturizer first or apply to damp skin.

Can you figure out how to send me a message with your address? I would be delighted to send you that lip balm - thanks again for being so ecoconscious and educational! We are growing because of the help of advocates like you :)

- Autumn

Has anyone tried putting on leave-in conditioner or oil the night before, so your hair is dry when you first splash in? How well does that work compared to having your hair wet with fresh water and product? I don't want to be cold before I even get in the water. Thanks!

Has anyone tried putting on leave-in conditioner or oil the night before, so your hair is dry when you first splash in? How well does that work compared to having your hair wet with fresh water and product? I don't want to be cold before I even get in the water. Thanks!

Sorry, I haven’t tried it. I have long hair and tying it back when it’s wet ensures it is tighter when pulled back and minimizes or eliminates possibility of it coming loose during the dive or entire day. I wet hair, put leave in to make it more manageable to pull back, then tie it back and go.

Someone once mentioned on the boards or in a Facebook group it’s beneficial to have it wet first before getting into salt water. Someone said if your hair is already wet and coated with product, it minimizes impact of salt on your hair. I don’t know how true that is or what the mechanism is though. Like a sponge that’s already wet and can’t absorb more?

I have long hair and tie it up when dry with one band at the nape and another one halfway down. I don't attempt to comb it until after I have showered. I never had have a problem with tangles that way.

Yes, hair is like a sponge or a road with potholes. Especially if bleached or colored. Filling the holes with water or product first helps, especially if you then trap it under a swim cap. I always shower before and after pool for this reason, and when I had long hair used a conditioner and a cap... now it’s cut very short, that’s the best! If you have short hair a waxy product like guys use is water resistant... water and wax don’t mix. I don’t like wax by feel and because it gets on hands, but it would work, so would a Vaseline like product, or coconut oil, in descending order of likelihood to wash off.

Back
Top Bottom