How to find divemaster work on the Perhentian Islands (Malaysia)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lou101

New
Reaction score
Hi there lovely people of Scubaboard. I am really looking for some helpful advice. So I am an experienced divemaster and have always wanted to work on Perhentian Island in Malaysia. I have dove there many times and I really love the place. I would really like to know how to go about applying for DM work there? I have emailed around a few companies but I find that a majority of dive schools don't reply (I believe this is often with the case with dive schools though as the emails often get lost in a sea of emails). I currently work in Thailand as a divemaster and on the island where I am, it was a case of turning up on the island and handing out CVs and visiting the shops in person to find work. Is this the same procedure on Perhentian? I know that Perhentian Kecil has many divemasters working there so what is the process to find work there? I know from previous experience on the island that many dive shops are already fully staffed when they open in February/March time for the season, so I'm thinking that they must recruit in advance? But I'm not having much luck with getting any responses. I am a good divemaster, experienced, hard working and speak fluent English and German. Any advice would be so greatly appreciated.

Thank you guys.

Hi Lou

Speaking in general terms. Mostly in SE asia preference is given to training the local population as DM's, with Western Instructors filling remaining positions

Dive centres generally are too busy to engage in "cold call" emails. Most people who want to work somewhere, turn up in person and basically go door to door. This suits teh dive centres as they can instantly see and make a judgement about a person without engaging in numerous back and forth etc.

A second way is by establishing a network of contacts. Again most jobs are filled by word of mouth. Someone recommends someone. Etc.

Another way is those shops who offer internships like DM or Instructor, often give preference to those who've invested in them (by paying for a course) and havign been able to watch and assess someone over a couple of weeks/months.

Finally there are the rare positions that pop up on job boards like the PADI Pro's site when teh centre is looking for specific requirements

Of course you could be lucky and someone reads your email at just the right time, but I'd say it's not the most likely.

Possibly you're best option is to go on "vacation" there and go door to door to see what's available

Good luck

I agree with what he says ^

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom