Do SSI e-learning material expire ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

are you thinking of working your way to any technical levels ?
You won't be aware of this, but BSAC sports diver teaches planned backgas deco - although while you're under training you can't actually get into deco because of the Ocean diver depth limitations, but you run all the scenarios including gas planning and time to stops. So in essence Sports diver does include some tech training (by the definition of other agencies), although it doesn't include gas switches (if I remember correctly)

You won't be aware of this, but BSAC sports diver teaches planned backgas deco - although while you're under training you can't actually get into deco because of the Ocean diver depth limitations, but you run all the scenarios including gas planning and time to stops. So in essence Sports diver does include some tech training (by the definition of other agencies), although it doesn't include gas switches (if I remember correctly)
You are correct. With BSAC you need to do specialties classes to do the gas switches.

You are 'allowed' to go in deco after a Sports Diver and you are supposed to work your way to 35m progressively. BSAC does not have the same separation between recreational and technical.

If someone gets to do the next grade, which is Dive Leader, you are 'allowed' to go to 50m. Whether you would like to go to 50m without doing the trimix class ... I do not know :)

Chart for BSAC progression

If someone gets to do the next grade, which is Dive Leader, you are 'allowed' to go to 50m.

Chart for BSAC progression

Post certification after the 3 depth progression dives.

When I took PADI DM my BSAC logbook made a few heads implode - that as a "rec" diver I was certed to 50m (but I also had ADP for accelerated Deco)

I do laugh when people use hard limits to define teh difference between Rec and Tec

My personal line in the sand is that Tech is tri mix or physical overheads. 40m and deco is just advanced Rec

Post certification after the 3 depth progression dives.

When I took PADI DM my BSAC logbook made a few heads implode - that as a "rec" diver I was certed to 50m (but I also had ADP for accelerated Deco)

I do laugh when people use hard limits to define teh difference between Rec and Tec

My personal line in the sand is that Tech is tri mix or physical overheads. 40m and deco is just advanced Rec
I guess if you are taught a hard rule, it is sometimes your first reflex to think that anything else contradicting it is wrong ?

you are correct. i know nothing about BSAC. interesting info. knowing this, i think i would have recommended the op take the fundies class (or similar) before taking the BSAC class. but either way, i am sure the fundies class will be a big benefit with the right instructor.

you are correct. i know nothing about BSAC. interesting info. knowing this, i think i would have recommended the op take the fundies class (or similar) before taking the BSAC class. but either way, i am sure the fundies class will be a big benefit with the right instructor.
I think your advice is sound regardless.

I am looking forward to the Fundies class. I couldn’t take it before because I didn’t have a drysuit recently, then when I got it the next class in the UK available was already in April :) , classes aren’t so regular during the winter in the UK (there aren’t many GUE instructors in the UK and I think many people prefer to wait for March to dive again)

I think that having the attention of an experienced instructor for a few days is gonna be of a great help for me. And he even offered to teach me twins during the class, so I am really excited.

Back to the original question ... my understanding is unless the subscription is the Diamond, it will expire in a year. However, I have never actually seen them expire.

Also, yes, the training can be downloaded to the app for offline viewing but the training progression on a computer/laptop will not be synced with the app or vice versa. It's an unfortunate reality students have found. But it's still nice to have on the app.

In the latest versions of the app the status of the downloaded courses is well synced!

In the app choose the symbol with the head and a cogweel below on the right, then choose the settings tab and synchronisation. Here you are, in the list you will find 'courses' and the status of the synchronisation to be pushed.
Of course you have to be logged in with the same account.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom