Trip Report Trip Report from first time to Bonaire solo traveller

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wow - awesome tips! Especially the food, thank you!

Can anyone else comment on if its worth doing the national park? How long would it take? There are no shore dive spots up there, correct?
It is a couple hour loop. There are a few sites but bring everything you may need.

I wasn't THAT impressed. I wasn't "wowed". Maybe I was expecting too much due to all the hype … MAIN reason for not doing it again soon is the MISERABLE travelling…I intend to dive close, like the Caribbean. It's "good enough" for me!
Always wise to ignore much of any hype and keep expectations low. Such was also the case for me with Bonaire, so glad I didn't go thinking it was going to blow me away… :) Plus, it's good you say that, maybe it will keep more of y'all away from Raja Ampat and leave it nice and pristine for those of us who don't find the long travel to be so miserable, and worth it to be no where near civilization or cars for a spell :)
You just like Bonaire because you got to hang out with me! :)
Big part of it, amigo. You're a consumate host. Dank u wel.

Thanks for the review. I enjoyed it and found it really helpful. I'm going to Bonaire for the first time this June. I'm really excited!

Always wise to ignore much of any hype and keep expectations low. Such was also the case for me with Bonaire, so glad I didn't go thinking it was going to blow me away… :) Plus, it's good you say that, maybe it will keep more of y'all away from Raja Ampat and leave it nice and pristine for those of us who don't find the long travel to be so miserable, and worth it to be no where near civilization or cars for a spell :)

Big part of it, amigo. You're a consumate host. Dank u wel.

As for Bonaire, I have low expectations...sparse and small fish life, unspectacular corals, blah topside, maybe some attitude from the locals (as I was told), theft from vehicles, lugging my own tanks, expensive food...yikes! But I’m still headed there for my next trip. LOL. Since I have such low expectations, I might be “wowed”.

As for RA’s “remoteness” and keeping it pristine, well that was also not the case! There was practically a caravan of 7-8 other liveaboards travelling with us throughout our trip! We waved to them and they waved back! Raja Manta, Dewi Nusantara, Mermaid 1 and 2, Samambaia, Arenui, Manta Mae, Pearl of Papua, you name an LOB, we saw her on our trip. We got cellphone signal on many days (and I wasted my satellite phone rental). And a fellow diver who was left on the surface by herself "in the middle of nowhere" (I know, don’t ask) got picked up by some random fishing boat within minutes and transported back to our LOB! AND someone on our boat went to the hospital mid-trip to get checked out for a diving injury. I wasn’t expecting to be so close to civilization!

Anyway, I’m not bashing RA, or Bonaire for that matter. I’m just reporting my observations in a good humoured kind of way. :wink: I believed the hype and set high expectations, which unfortunately were not met.

As for RA’s “remoteness” and keeping it pristine, well that was also not the case! There was practically a caravan of 7-8 other liveaboards travelling with us throughout our trip!
Maybe another argument not to do the liveaboards… My experience on the land-based stays is you see little of anyone else. Maybe in a week you'll see another dive boat or two at the same site, possibly a liveaboard even but those are generally avoided. Yeah, there's often 3G service around cuz there are villages, and it's a good thing IMO that they're not cut off from the world. But no, it's not Land of the Lost. It's probably more pristine on a Sanghir-Talud liveaboard, but then I last did that 15 years ago…

PS: Does dogbowl have anything to do with Kramer?

Dogbowl: We were in Raja on a LOB in early December. For us, you have to add feeling like you've been run over by a truck for 7 days after you get home. I was in Wow mode for many of the Raja dives but I totally understand your point. We're headed to Bon in May. Last time was 8 years ago. As long is it's close to the same, I'll be happy. My expectations include ease of diving, some fish, some reefs and some critters to see...not as exotic as Raja, but critters nonetheless. If airfare was more reasonable, maybe we'd go more than once in a long while. Hope your trip meets whatever your expectations are. We will be trying a two-week Sea of Cortex trip which requires much less travel (and airfare half of Bonaire), so this hemisphere still has exploration options for us.
Rob

Maybe another argument not to do the liveaboards… My experience on the land-based stays is you see little of anyone else. Maybe in a week you'll see another dive boat or two at the same site, possibly a liveaboard even but those are generally avoided. Yeah, there's often 3G service around cuz there are villages, and it's a good thing IMO that they're not cut off from the world. But no, it's not Land of the Lost. It's probably more pristine on a Sanghir-Talud liveaboard, but then I last did that 15 years ago…

PS: Does dogbowl have anything to do with Kramer?

Who is Kramer? As in a la Seinfeld? Haha. You should meet my husband/dive buddy.

Wow - awesome tips! Especially the food, thank you!

Can anyone else comment on if its worth doing the national park? How long would it take? There are no shore dive spots up there, correct?
The national park is very pretty and probably worth doing on an off dive day. It is a solid 2-3 hour loop, depending on route. There are a number of dive sites within the park and I have done most of them. In my opinion, the dive sites are not so awesome that I would dedicate a day to them and that is what it will take. Best case, you can take 3 tanks per person, leave early and it will be a very full and long day. Bring your own food and water, etc. There are no provisions within the park. Another consideration with regards to diving and driving in the park is that you are a long way from help should anything go wrong. Also, it is all dirt roads and if there has been a lot of rain, it can make driving very challenging without a 4 wheel drive truck.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom