Trip Report Trip Report from first time to Bonaire solo traveller

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tip - if you do solo, do SDI Solo Diver rather than PADI. The SDI Solo card will be accepted in places where the PADI "Self Reliant" isn't.
Can you say more about this, please? Why would that be the case? Where have you seen it to be? My local dive shop is all PADI, and a quick look doesn't even show the self-reliant course anyway. Is it something one could do online?

Oh, yes! The impression I've gotten over the years from forum threads is that if I ever go dive Indonesia, I'll fly home and slap the Caribbean!…Now, if the land-based options give the same number of dives, that's worth another look.
Yes, you will, which is not to say it's not wonderful in Bonaire for the relative closeness of it, which was my original point. Was surprised that I was as happy with the trip as I was. :) That said, in Komodo and Raja Ampat land based, you'll get 3 boat dives a day, gear just left on the boat, back for lunch. Some days you might whip-up whatever their minimum is of interested other divers for a 4th dive or a night dive. Alor was exceptional in that they only did two dives a day.

good info and trip report...thanks for sharing.

My local dive shop is all PADI, and a quick look doesn't even show the self-reliant course anyway. Is it something one could do online?

No. There are skills to demonstrate. From prior discussions on the forum, PADI Self-reliant Diver and SDI Solo Diver are a lot alike, neither 'entitles' you to dive solo with all op.s, and both may be accepted by a number of them. Some prefer the SDI (as it explicitly says Solo) and not PADI's (which does not). For an 18-page discussion, check out the 2015 thread PADI Self Reliant vs SDI Solo.

I, too, would like to hear if anyone knows of any places currently accepting one and not the other.

Richard.

Where have you seen it to be?

Hair splitting post alert. I am posting this because I've seen other post topics in the past where someone was basically challenged to produce an actual instance to back up a contention, and this is one that's come up before. So I whipped out some Google to see if I could find an instance. Wonder of wonders, back in 2013, a place called Wraysbury Dive Center posted, including this blurb:
"May we please clarify the situation regarding Solo Diving here at Wraysbury Dive Centre.

Firstly, it is a privilege – not a God given right.

You must follow all the guidelines set down by your training agency which includes submitting a written dive plan to someone who will remain on site for the duration of your dive. The information required for this dive plan should have been explained to you in your Solo Course. You must also inform us that you are going to solo dive.

Despite other opinions, we do care about you and it is not fair on us to be concerned over someone's safety unnecessarily.

For further clarification we accept ONLY the SDI Solo Diving Qualification – PADI Self-Reliant Diver and Tri-mix qualifications are NOT acceptable and do not fulfil our insurance requirements.

If you wish to discuss this or ask any questions, please give us a call."

So, if anyone ever asks if this has ever happened before, yes, yes it has. I doubt it has much practical relevance, but there it is.

Richard.

Since I just came back from a 3-week trip to Raja Ampat/Hong Kong, I want to offer my thoughts. I ain't gonna do it again any time soon. Yes, there were LOTS of fish and LOTS of coral, but I wasn't THAT impressed. I wasn't "wowed". Maybe I was expecting too much due to all the hype I've heard on SB, or maybe I didn't encounter the best possible diving conditions. Don't get me wrong. It was the most healthy reefs and most diverse fish population I ever saw. I cannot deny that.

But the MAIN reason for not doing it again soon is the MISERABLE travelling there and back, as well as the need to take soooo many extra days "resting" or as a cushion. I left on Dec. 2nd, and came back on the 24th (a total of 23 days). I spent 7 full days in Hong Kong and 10 days on the LOB. The rest of the days were spent flying or "resting". That means I spent 6 days flying or resting. That just feels like such a waste of time. I could add just one more day and make it a week-long dive vacation in the Caribbean.

For 2019, I intend to dive close, like the Caribbean. It's "good enough" for me! I really miss those direct 4-5 hour flights.

Yes, you will, which is not to say it's not wonderful in Bonaire for the relative closeness of it, which was my original point. Was surprised that I was as happy with the trip as I was. :) That said, in Komodo and Raja Ampat land based, you'll get 3 boat dives a day, gear just left on the boat, back for lunch. Some days you might whip-up whatever their minimum is of interested other divers for a 4th dive or a night dive. Alor was exceptional in that they only did two dives a day.
You just like Bonaire because you got to hang out with me! :)

[Part 2]

Some things I learned
that might not be obvious
to Bonaire novices:

• national park has no facilities, bring water & food and expect a long (one-way?) trip thru (I didn't do this, just was so warned).

Wow - awesome tips! Especially the food, thank you!

Can anyone else comment on if its worth doing the national park? How long would it take? There are no shore dive spots up there, correct?

Back
Top Bottom