Help me id these old gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

emoreira

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi people, I was given these old items. Please help me ID them.
file1-4.jpeg
file2-2.jpeg
file-9.jpg
file-10.jpeg

no I believe its a mine rescue apparatus , a early 1930-40 ?

They are Momsen lungs.I have the bottom type you have there.Not for mine rescue.For submarine escape.Nice rare items.

Mike,

Thanks to your post, I found this interesting bit of info: Momsen lung - Wikipedia

Couv

Submarines are kept as close to one atm as possible, if you can handle the quick equalization in the escape trunk and exhale all the way up...

Yeah, that caught my eye also. Doesn't say there aren't consequences, just says it is possible.

The only time it was done by U S Navy submariners in combat, of the 13 men who escaped the USS Tang in 180' of water, 13 men escaped, only eight reached the surface, and of these only five were able to swim until rescued. Of 9 men on the bridge who did not sink with the boat, only 3 made it until morning, in all 74 of the crew perished. I believe the record for an escape in WW2 was 170' by a British submariner.

A shipmate saw the escape test by Dr Bond and Chief Tuckfield from the Archerfish at 300'. I believe the deepest escape test was 600' later by the Brits but @Akimbo can correct me if necessary.

I never worried about it much because most of the ocean is deeper than the crush depth of a submarine. Submariners are trained for escape in 50' of water now, 100' back in the day. The concept is simple but the execution and survival is more dificult as one goes deeper, however it is the last option, like a CSEA, before using that option it's fixing the problem and getting the boat to the surface.

Bob

Back
Top Bottom