Should I use Nitrox on liveaboard?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wow - thanks for all the advice. I think, on balance, I will use Nitrox again based on all the responses.

My dive buddy is way more experienced than me and his air consumption is so good I swear he adds air to his tank. So I will also follow the advice to book a 15L steel tank, for that small advantage.

16th - 23rd.....will be getting Pink Tags pretty soon!
Too bad. We will miss each other by less than a week. I arrive on 28 March. (Most of the group I am going there with will get there on the 23rd.)

Too bad. We will miss each other by less than a week. I arrive on 28 March. (Most of the group I am going there with will get there on the 23rd.)
Maybe next time.....just 3 more and then the next one is free!

In most of the agencies' nitrox textbooks it mentions the placebo effect. Many divers feel that if they believe it makes them less fatigued, who cares if it's only a placebo.
Start with DAN's report here. http://www.alertdiver.com/?articleNo=1836
Studies have shown that there was no conclusive evidence that nitrox reduces fatigue. http://dspace.rubicon-foundation.org:8080/xmlui/bitstream/handle/123456789/8005/AAUS_2008_1-11.pdf?sequence=1
Glad you are on my side finally, Max.

It all depends on the degree of freedom you'll get. If using EAN results in greater bottom times while diving with this particular liveaboard, go for it. If not, this will be a waste.

I will always choose to dive with the gas that best suits my needs, regardless of cost, which is a minimal expense on any live-aboard boat that I’ve been on, and I have been on many of them. On a cruise where the operation adheres to recreational diving protocols, I will opt for Nitrox for all dives.

On a liveaboard I will always use Nitrox, I want every advantage I can get when we are taking a risk of DCS. And if you go underwater with scuba gear, you are taking a risk of DCS.

In most of the agencies' nitrox textbooks it mentions the placebo effect. Many divers feel that if they believe it makes them less fatigued, who cares if it's only a placebo.
Start with DAN's report here. http://www.alertdiver.com/?articleNo=1836
Studies have shown that there was no conclusive evidence that nitrox reduces fatigue. http://dspace.rubicon-foundation.org:8080/xmlui/bitstream/handle/123456789/8005/AAUS_2008_1-11.pdf?sequence=1

From my read they found Nitrox did not reduce fatigue, however those on Nitrox consistently "perceived less fatigue". That effect the researchers say may be attributed to decompression stress not actual fatigue. They study was about fatigue so another study would be needed to follow up.

It seems to be more a matter of definition, fatigue is one thing, perceived fatigue from decompression stress is another. Personally, I don't care why I feel better, I use Nitrox on liveaboards.

Bob

Wow - thanks for all the advice. I think, on balance, I will use Nitrox again based on all the responses.

My dive buddy is way more experienced than me and his air consumption is so good I swear he adds air to his tank. So I will also follow the advice to book a 15L steel tank, for that small advantage.
If your dive profiles on air are approaching your NDLs, then I would consider that to be a compelling reason for EAN to provide a greater buffer between your profile and your NDL.
If you are comfortably within your NDLs on air, the benefit is more debatable.
If you like to push the limits on depth, consider air for your first, deepest dive of the day, and then switch to EAN for the remainder of the day.

This may have been said but I saw several posts seeming to equate nitrox use with air consumption. Nitrox has nothing to do with air consumption. Nitrox just changes the amount of nitrogen you retain from a given period of use. Reducing the nitrogen loading could result in a longer dive time but only if your air consumption, which won't really change, allows it. Or you could use the opposite benefit of doing the same dive time but loading less nitrogen so your SI could be shorter. Theoretically. You may or may not think you feel "better" or less fatigued from its use.

Back
Top Bottom