Overshooting NDL and mandatory deco stops

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

do what your computer tells you to do. also dont panic if ou are the one in deco and your buddys are not. it could be just a matter of conservative settng in your computer. the compuiter is a tool you need to understand it.

So you are concerned that you may accidentally hit your NDL with your new bigger tanks? The obvious answer is just watch your time.

If you really want to know how to handle deco, accidental or purposeful, take a deco course. Otherwise know your computer. Chances are if you just touch deco your recommended safety stop will become mandatory.

Curious, what GF settings do you use?

Whatever is standard default setting for the Shearwater Perdix A.I.

Whatever is standard default setting for the Shearwater Perdix A.I.
It doesn't matter.
So you don't understand the basic setting of your own computer!!!!!
Well you won't be the first one.
But do you understand all the information that your computer given you during the dive?
Read the manual thoroughly and good luck.

Oh c’mon! The vast majority of recreational divers don’t know there are different algorithms for deco much less what GF or setting they are using. I realize this is Advanced but i don’t think Dale’s statement really calls for that many exclamation points -:)

Edits: typos

It doesn't matter.
But do you understand all the information that your computer given you during the dive?

There is probably some official agency-specific approach to this situation (the instructors can probably chime in), but I don't think that there is an accurate calculable answer to the OP's question. Deco obligation and tissue compartment saturation depends on the specifics of the dive (profile and mix), as well as the algorithm.

How about this as a good rule of thumb:

Scenario 1 is that you are capable of following the instructions on your dive computer for when you exceed your NDL. In that case, follow the instructions, and maybe do an extra five minutes at your last stop, if you have the gas.

Scenario 2 is that you can't follow your DC instructions. In that case, RTFM before the dive until you are in scenario 1

Scenario 3 is that you have no idea what your deco obligation is and you can't follow the DC. Unless you have a huge tank and a great SAC rate, you probably haven't racked up massive amounts of deco, but maybe just sit at around 15-20 feet until you are down to a bit under 500 PSI, then do a very slow ascent to the surface. If you don't have enough gas to sit there for 15 minutes or so, then see if you can borrow some gas from a passing diver.

In any of these scenarios, maybe go on surface O2 on the boat and watch for symptoms of DCS.

It doesn't matter.

Yes I understand how to operate my computer. I dive recreationally now so have zero need to know GF at all. most divers do not need to know this. Useless info for me. I have two dive computers every dive in case one fails that is all I need to know.
My dad was a NAUI scuba instructor at the YMCA in 1962 and his whole life he said all you need to know about scuba is to go slower than your slowest bubbles. In fact now we know to go much slower but the point remains the same.

Yes I understand how to operate my computer.

So then the answer to your original question would be "do what your computer tells you to do", right?

Why would you want guesses from people online when your dive computer knows exactly what your N2 loading is..?

The amount of deco required for a short dive past ndl depends on depth, prior dives and computer. Staying 5 mintpast ndl could cause a significant deco

Yes I understand how to operate my computer. I dive recreationally now so have zero need to know GF at all. most divers do not need to know this. Useless info for me. I have two dive computers every dive in case one fails that is all I need to know.
My dad was a NAUI scuba instructor at the YMCA in 1962 and his whole life he said all you need to know about scuba is to go slower than your slowest bubbles. In fact now we know to go much slower but the point remains the same.
So you start a thread to help you understand what your computer will do and what you should do if you go into deco yet can not tell us your GF settings and have no interest in understanding them or your options to adjust them. Which will directly impact your dive time and NDLs.

Ok, I am going to be a good girl and sit this one out.

Back
Top Bottom