Depth of Pool for Training

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

certainmisuse

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I would like to do a lot of training with my new BP/W setup once it's complete. I'm having trouble finding a pool that's close by. I did find a pool, but the max depth is 4.6'. Would that suffice for some skills? I'm not sure if they will allow SCUBA there though, but I thought I would at least get the conditions I need set. I'm half tempted to build a trench in my backyard. Thanks.

Thanks.

David

I think you are going to have a very hard time in that little water. I’d keep looking for 8’ or more.

Contact your local dive shops. They will be doing confined water activity with classes and one of them will surely invite you along to do gear checks.

If you can navigate the pool without touching the bottom or breaking the surface you might be close to being comfortable enough to go deeper. It's not about how deep you go but if you can stay as horizontal as possible and frog kick. We train in a 4.5-foot pool with RB, you break the surface your timer starts over.

I agree. If you want instant feedback on how your skills are doing, do them 4.5'
Try kicking as mentioned above, try hovering. Then move to mask clear, reg recovery....heck majority of the skills you learned in open water.
Have fun with it. Enjoy.

Look for an Olympic pool near you if possible.

They are typically 12+ feet deep.

I've done my first drysuit dive in the pool of my apartment complex, and it's 1.8 meters deep.
One of my best dive ever: calm a super vis.

...an old lady didn't like though, and I was in troubles :(

Look for an Olympic pool near you if possible.

They are typically 12+ feet deep.

I think it must be no less than 4 while 7 is "desirable". 50 m pools should be at 2 m (just short of 7) all the way, if built to standards, but the 25 m ones can be as shallow as 1.2 m at the deep end and 1 m at the shallow end.

The pool where I learned to swim was built with a diving well -- full 10 m platform -- off the end. That thing had the deep end & starting platforms on the well side at good 15+ feet, and the "desirable" 7 at the other end. But I don't think there are too many of those around.

The pool where I swim now is about 4.5 feet at both ends with a ~6 feet though in the middle. Evidently whoever "won the bid" to build it back when, had no effing clue as to what competition swimming pool looks like. Every starting platform has a "no diving" sign permanently glued on: you really don't want the general public diving into 4 feet head first.

Perfectly fine to use a 4 ft pool. Try hovering and maintaining neutral buoyancy and trim while staying a foot or so off the bottom. It's fun and if you can do that? Anything deeper is gravy.

I think because you're talking about "self-training" there's no mandated depth minimum. (PADI OW certification does have such a limit, IIRC.) As others have said succinctly, it gets easier in deeper water.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom