Any equipment buying regrets ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mares said it was a bad batch of the trilaminate material. The short story is that the suits were tea bags. Every other dive they sprang a new leak somewhere. One of the suits also had a cuff seal that basically fell off in the middle of a dive. It just tore away from where it was glued to the suit.

They say that the problems have been solved and I know a few people who have suits that don't have these problems. After trying twice I gave up and Mares was very good about reimbursing me. On the up side if it's true that the problems were solved then it's a very comfortable suit to wear.

R..

Clear, thanks a lot for your answer !

Do you have any equipment buying regrets ? What equipment did you buy and realized afterwards you had made a mistake ? Why was it a mistake ?

Full size bowie size titanium knife about 120 bucks. Doesnt fit in pockets, large and bulky, hotels in philippines always grab it going through the scanner and keep it till i leave the hotel.

bought a folding titanium dive knife for 22 bucks and its AWESOME. Never a problem or worry. Fits anywhere and everywhere.

Scubapro everflex wetsuit with diagonal zipper! Close to the dumbest design a diver could imagine, uncomfortable bump on lower left side of my backplate, very difficult to put on without help! Wetsuit is no warmer than previous straight zipper everflex suits! Regretting every time I want to dive it, I still dive my old suit with holes!

Lots of regrets, specially whe you step into tec, you find out that most of the rec stuff is garbage.

So either don't step into tec, or if you are aiming for it stop buying what you had in mind, sell all your rec garbage in start fresh with good advice.

My biggest regret has been the BCD

Normal/common BCD normally garbage and bulky

Get plate in wing-donut for single tank if you want to keep rec, they are much better than the regular BCD's as well for traveling

Lots of regrets, specially whe you step into tec, you find out that most of the rec stuff is garbage.

So either don't step into tec, or if you are aiming for it stop buying what you had in mind, sell all your rec garbage in start fresh with good advice.

My biggest regret has been the BCD

Normal/common BCD normally garbage and bulky

Get plate in wing-donut for single tank if you want to keep rec, they are much better than the regular BCD's as well for traveling

This is what I have quickly realized!

When I first got my OW cert back in 2013 I was on a pretty tight budget but wanted to get my own gear, so I scoured the internet for used gear.
Didn't know much about the different types of gear or what lift capacity was suited for what then and ended up buying a very cheap poseidon back inflation (biscaya powerlift?) bc, with 75lb lift capacity. :D
I got rid of that after a few dives as it was nowhere near suited to use with a single tank setup, nowadays I never buy anything without thorough research first.

Do you have any equipment buying regrets ? What equipment did you buy and realized afterwards you had made a mistake ? Why was it a mistake ?
Yes,

40 years ago I bought my first set of kit; I've been broke ever since replacing worn out or outdated equipment and travelling the world to go diving.

I should have just bought a used BP/W (instead of new), skipped the padded backplate, and put the savings toward steel tanks (I went with aluminum 80's instead).

At least it wasn't a costly mistake (I could get my money out of the tanks tomorrow, if I wanted to).

Scubapro everflex wetsuit with diagonal zipper! Close to the dumbest design a diver could imagine, uncomfortable bump on lower left side of my backplate, very difficult to put on without help! Wetsuit is no warmer than previous straight zipper everflex suits! Regretting every time I want to dive it, I still dive my old suit with holes!
First choice is to call Scubapro and see if they will give you some kind of kindness credit. I have occasionally had luck with that.
Second choice is: Sell it! Otherwise you did not buy a wetsuit, but paid for a wound on your soul, sell it for whatever you can get for it and forget it existed. Sell it to someone that does not use a backplate though.

Thank you bubblesong, I just want others to know - scubaboard usually states the facts not just the marketing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom