Getting Ready to Dive Wisconsin

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dubious

Contributor
Reaction score
Greetings All,

I have always wanted to learn to scuba dive but never took the time to pull the trigger. I worked in our college aquatic lab while working on my undergraduate degree (10 years ago). I managed the universities saltwater tanks and also had my own. I had dreamed of visiting actually reefs but it always seemed out of reach. I wish I would have realized how many freshwater dive opportunities there are in Wisconsin.

My wife and I are headed to Jamaica Nov 2019 for our 10th anniversary (first trip out of Wisconsin). We noticed the resort (Couples Swept Away) offers free scuba for those who have their open water certification and so we decided to "dive" into all of the information regarding scuba. The prospect of diving in the ocean brought back all of those dreams I had while in college.

After browsing the internet, I came across this forum looking for advice on how to choose a local dive shop. After calling and visiting the three shops (two north of us and one south) that are less than a one hour drive from our home, Underwater connection stood out. The other two, Divers realm and Mountain Bay scuba were also good but I didn't get as good of a vibe from them.

I bought my wife and I scuba lessons from Underwater Connection for Christmas.

Sadly, our class/confined water dives will not take place until May 3, 4, and 5 and our open water training dives will be May 18 & 19 (I think pearl lake, south Beloit, IL). Pearl lake is 2 hours from us so that is a downside. If we went with Divers realm or Mountain Bay Scuba our open water dives would have been much closer.

My dad had two bags of dive gear he had bought used 20 years ago. He never went diving. He had one pair of XL scuba pro jet fins (plastic strap) and aqualung/us diver rocket fins. Based on what I read on here, it looks like these will work for us so that is one less thing to buy. The bag also included a new SeqQuest Ventura silicone mask which he never used. It still looks new 20 years later. I think my wife may use this mask since i need a prescription dive mask. It also seems to fit her based on the fitting guide. He tossed the old drysuits he bought when he moved. My dad also had dive belts, weights, knives and one regulator set. The regulator first stage is a scuba pro with swivel. It has 2 HP and 4 LP. I will post pictures later for identification. The primary second stage is also scuba pro and the secondary says "sub-aquatic". I will have the lds check them out in the future.

My wife and I plan to visit the LDS to get booties, snorkel, and goggles. We also will need to talk about wetsuits. My wife is obese so she is worried about nothing fitting her. We will see what they say. Scubaboard gave us some ideas. We also do not want to spend to much money early on since she is slowly loosing weight.

That is all for now. Look forward to getting into the water.

Why don't you do the open water dives with Couples Resort when you get there. They will provide the gear. It will be a LOT easier than doing the dives in Wisconsin. I suggest contacting them ahead of time to let them know you are planning to do the dives with them and also do the dives when you first get there, in case the weather turns bad later in the week.

You can do the entire course while at the resort, but the more you get done ahead of time, the easier and more convenient it will be to finish the course when you get there. Even if all you do is the class online ahead of time Scuba One Travel - PADI Elearning with Scuba One Travel, you would not need to do that training at the resort. If you add in the pool training at your local LDS, you would not need to spend valuable resort time doing it at the resort. Doing the dives ahead would also be a plus, but only if it is easy and convenient for you. If you don't plan to dive in Wisconsin after taking the course, I would recommend doing the dives in Jamaica.

Why don't you do the open water dives with Couples Resort when you get there.

Thank you for the suggestion. We did discuss this but after speaking with the dive shops and reading opinions here and elsewhere, we decided that we didn't want to worry about learning to dive on vacation. We are also hoping this will become something we do together as a couple so it seemed learning to dive cold water with an LDS made more sense seeing most of our dives will be cold water dives. The LDS does provide all equipment except personal gear which we were fine with. We may consider doing our Advance Open Water in Jamaica. From what I understand, having or doing AOW allows two boat dives per day as opposed to one.

Your dive shop in Wisconsin will give you documentation showing course completion and you can arrange to do your checkout dives in Jamaica. Just let the dive op know in advance so that they will have a dive instructor available to work with you.

Everybody is different in regards to water temperature preferences but the average water temp in Negril Jamaica in November is 84 F so you probably won't need a heavy wetsuit. I suggest buying a nice sea skin when you get closer to the date, so that you get the correct size and see how that works for you. If you feel that you need more insulation then the onsite dive shop will loan or rent a suit, and I am sure that they will have a variety of options.

We are older divers and some of our equipment is older but we have it serviced regularly. After you post pics on SB of your Dad's equipment and get some advice here, you can take the equipment to the LDS and ask for their advice and if they will be able to service it?

Do you have buoyancy compensator vests? You may want to use/rent them from the dive shop in Jamaica.

You don't want to use unsafe equipment but I don't think that you should spend a whole lot of money on new equipment until you are certified and have a chance to find out if you both like diving. Good quality and well-fitting masks, fins, and snorkels are usually a good investment at anytime because you use them snorkeling even if you or your wife decide that diving isn't for you.

Have you ever tried wearing daily, disposable contact lenses? You could wear them with a plain scuba mask and not immediately invest in a prescription mask. Keep in mind that water magnifies so that helps with underwater vision. My husband and I both wear contacts with plain scuba masks.

I've looked into getting a prescription mask, but I need bifocals and I was told that they do not offer "progressive lenses" for scuba masks, there is a hard line between the distant and near lenses and I don't care for that, and so far I am doing quite well with the contacts.

Good luck and congrats to your wife on the changes she is making.

Welcome to Scubaboard Dubious. Got some nice answers above.

Welcome to the Board. My 2 cents on OW is to do it all locally, then go South and just dive. If money is not a problem, then I would agree with Scuba One to get as much as you can done locally then finish (perhaps just the ocean check-out dives?) somewhere warm. But keep in mind that is usually two full days diving where you mostly do some of the skills learned in the pool. Good idea if you don't mind doing that on an expensive vacation. Good luck.

Your dive shop in Wisconsin will give you documentation showing course completion and you can arrange to do your checkout dives in Jamaica. Just let the dive op know in advance so that they will have a dive instructor available to work with you.

That is an idea, but I am not sure we will want to wait that long to do the check out dives. I personally feel that for me to enjoy the dives in Jamaica I will need more dives under my belt locally. My hope is to do some of the fun dives that the three lds offer.

Do you have buoyancy compensator vests? You may want to use/rent them from the dive shop in Jamaica.

Nope, not yet. There is part of me that would like to buy before the class, but I think we will wait until after the confined water dives. The LDS trains in Aqualung Zuma's which are back inflate.

Have you ever tried wearing daily, disposable contact lenses?

I used to wear contacts but can't anymore. They now cause to much irritation even with other brands. I will have to have custom lens grind and inserted into mask because of my bad astigmatism.

Welcome to Scubaboard Dubious

Thank you.

Welcome to the Board. My 2 cents on OW is to do it all locally, then go South and just dive.

I think that is the plan. I grew up swimming in lake Michigan so i am not too concerned about the water temperatures locally.

UWC will take good care of you and are solid. Pearl Lake is great for training,

Welcome to the world!
Enjoy.

After you post pics on SB

I will post this in another thread later, but here are the pics of the regulator. From what I read here, it looks like a MK5

IMG-0230-1.jpg

IMG-0231-1.jpg
IMG-0232-1.jpg
IMG-0234-1.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom