Megalodon jaws photos

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Stephen A.

Registered
Reaction score
Hi, Everyone...I apologize for being a non-SCUBA person, but I'm looking for professional or amateur shark experts, and my Google search brought me here. I'm looking for a photograph in a book. It's the famous shot of the scientists/explorers/experts in the simulated jaws of a megalodon. I'm looking for a copy in a book, preferably a print that's better than the scans circulating the internet. I'm interested in framing it, but I'd rather have it from a book than from the internet.

Is anyone familiar with a book/encyclopedia that includes this image? Ideally, something before 1980. Someone once told me it might be in an old Guinness Book of World Records.

I'd def. go for a print, too, if someone knows where to find that.

Thanks!

Attachments

• megalodon jaws.jpg
    megalodon jaws.jpg
    115.8 KB · Views: 300
Contact the marine labs
SIO
Cape Haze
Woods Hole
etc, etc
Search the late Eugenie Clarke work and contact her lab Eugenie Authored "The lady and the sharks"
If still in existence contact the late Perry Gilbert's "Shark Research Panel" Perry Authored "Sharks and survival "

Post your findings on this board -- I also am interested

Sam Miller, III

Not the same picture, but this gives you an idea of what's out there.

Page 280 in this journal from 1909. Gotta love the internets.

The American Museum journal

Attachments

• americanmuseumjo09amer_0282.jpg
    americanmuseumjo09amer_0282.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 319
The National Aquarium in Baltimore has a display of such a reconstruction. It's a bit smaller than the jaws in the photo and the placard for the display notes that reconstructions such as in that famous photograph were inaccurately large, as they were based on an incorrect scaling from other sharks. Unfortunately, I didn't take a picture of the placard and so can't share any more details.

Interestingly, I recall that the placard also notes that the teeth in the display were collected over many years by a scuba diver specifically for that display.

Thanks for all of these replies!

"the placard for the display notes that reconstructions such as in that famous photograph were inaccurately large" What a great piece of info!

I'm going to follow up with your suggestions, Sam, and I'll report back here!

Hi! I heard back from the Woods Hole Marine Lab. They sent me this:

AMNH: Picturing the Museum

I've reached out to AMNH to see if I can get a print made from the negative.

Now, here's another question, this one might actually be trickier. It's from the film Jaws (where I first saw the megalodon jaws picture. Hooper is looking at some SCUBA gear (I gather). But what's he reading? Is it a 1970s SCUBA manual of some kind? Has anyone ever seen that book?

Thanks!

Jaws book stills 4.jpg

UPDATE: The American Museum of Natural History replied today. They generously sent me a hi-res scan, to print out, and asking that I not share it without getting their permission first. Thanks again for the tip!!

Back
Top Bottom