Florida Cave Update?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

there is a lot of rain coming in south Georgia which is what causes the Suwannee to flood. The speed of recovery is largely dependent on how quick the river will come down. If the river stays high, the caves take longer to recover as the reversing process is based on water pressure. If there is high rain fall along the river, then it will take longer for it to fall since it can't drain as fast. If there is more rain in south GA, then the river keeps getting fed and again, it will take longer to go back down.
Lots of rain for the next week in the Valdosta area and as long as that continues it will take a hot minute to come back down.

My gut? It'll be a month or more before the caves are back to "normal". When they become diveable will be sooner but it's how ugly they're going to be. We will see cold and tannic pockets in Peacock likely until April ish pending the "normal" flood season. It's going to be an interesting spring, that's for sure. Lots of business going to Marianna area though because of it which is good to help them with the hurricane recovery.

South Georgia is getting a lot of rain, and set a rainfall record for December. Duration of clearing out after a flood isn't directly proportional to duration of the flood. Considerations are what was the hydrostatic pressure of the spring before the flood, was the aquifer "well charged". Also, the local rains will help keep the aquifer well charged to push out the tannic water. Perfect example is the 1998 flood, the caves cleared up quickly. Either way I wouldn't make any travel plans for north Florida for the next few weeks.

Blue Grotto and Devil’s Den we’re both open yesterday even with elevated water levels. Dove both.

The gear platform at Blue Grotto was under 2ish feet of water.

Headed to Ginnie today.

I just did 7 days of Ginnie. Manatee conditions are supposedly awesome right and Jug Hole is still open if you're sidemount.

The flow in Ginnie last week was such that you could basically swim through the lips if you wanted..

I heard that Peacock may not be diveable until the end of the month, based on current conditions.

I heard that Peacock may not be diveable until the end of the month, based on current conditions.

It's going to be a bit longer than that. Water is feet deep in the parking lot. Also getting a warmer and wetter winter than usual.

These pictures are at the fork before you get into the parking lot. One looking toward P1 and the other down the lot toward P3.

Attachments

• IMG_20181231_122511.jpg
    IMG_20181231_122511.jpg
    181.4 KB · Views: 117
  • IMG_20181231_122507.jpg
    IMG_20181231_122507.jpg
    193.8 KB · Views: 114
Last time this occurred according to Cathy at Dive Outpost was when Peacock didn't need re-open until May.

There slight tannic water in the Gallery / Keyhole at Ginnie. Water is basically greenish hue but still about 50ft of visibility. I'd say it opens up to normal Ginnie visibility around Park Bench or Hill 400 jump.

They have the tarp up across the spring run and entry is into the Eye only. Technically you can still dive the Ear but it's tannic until about the log.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom