Salt Pier temporarily closed to divers (and snorkelers)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Let us know what kind of damage it did to the reef. Hopefully it drifted out and hit sand.

I just did a brief look today- buddy had a o ring issue, and we had to abort, but I didn’t see any damage to the reef where I was. I will be heading back for a full look tomorrow and will update then. It’s been 15 years since my first trip to salt pier so I’m looking forward to a good explore.

I really don't think there is much that a rubber bumper is going to destroy. That site takes many insults yet the fish still love it. I plan to give it many inspections starting next week.

lol...I agree not much to damage. It's Armageddon under there...where man meets the sea. It's a mess, but the critters seem to love it. :) Personally, I have to go dive someplace pretty (like Margate) after the pier or I'm all gloomy the rest of the day. :zap1::tired:

We enjoyed 85 minutes at Salt Pier yesterday, including the center pier section that was reported damaged. We didn't see any signs underwater of fresh debris or damage to the reef.

Glad for @darook & @AdivingBel posts. I have never dove Salt Pier. After reading your posts, I never will. Not my kind of place so I'll have an extra dive at Tori's Reef or some where else this March.

Glad for @darook & @AdivingBel posts. I have never dove Salt Pier. After reading your posts, I never will. Not my kind of place so I'll have an extra dive at Tori's Reef or some where else this March.
Your loss - it might not be the prettiest/healthiest reef structure in Bonaire (though far from Armageddon), but there is an incredible amount/diversity of marine ife there. I just did my first trip to Bonaire in November and will definitely dive Salt Pier again when I return!

that is good news. My group likes the pier, but especially likes seeing the small sea turtles digging around in the shallows when we come back in.

LOL...I like the pier (saw a huge gold chain moray last fall) just thought it was funny about "damaging" the reef (and it is kinda creepyo_O). There's lots to enjoy about diving Bonaire. Gotta love "dive freedom." :)

In the late afternoon when the sun is coming through the pilings is my favorite time. The wide angle photo opportunities are endless.

Back
Top Bottom