Ikelite Strobe and Retra LSD Snoot

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RStyle

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
This may not be the right forum but can't find the answer in any other site
Thinking about buying this snoot (Retra LSD). It is made with a mount for the DS160/161 but since it is $$$ would like to know if the modeling light is powerful enough to illuminate the macro subject when using it.
Just hoping someone looking at this forum by chance is using this set up.
Thanks

I am looking to purchase this same snoot for my ds160. I think at night it will be fine but no chance during bright daylight/good viz.
Alex mustard has spoke about setting it up prior, by shooting a rock about the same size as your target subject so you don’t waste time/scare off the critter. It will be a very steep learning curve but worth it if it all comes off

Yes..I heard it requires a lot of patient.
I just had not seen or read of anyone specifically using the DS160.
Seems like in the things I find to read everyone was using other brands of strobes.
Seems that having a laser (one brand), a pilot light (other brand) was very helpful so wondered if the DS160 modeling light was helpful.
I would thing it would work well on night dives

Correction
........I heard it requires lots of patience....
and a patient dive partner

I shoot with DS160s. My buddy has the Retra but has pretty much given up on it after a couple of years. I use the Reefnet snoots but found I have better shots by removing the tips. The cone of light covers a larger area but not nearly as much as using the strobes alone. I can use the snoots to get light in tight areas that I couldn't before, and it cuts down on backscatter a lot by not lighting up the water I don't want in the photo.
33025929338_8f06e2d76f_b.jpg

45806635292_49627851e7_b.jpg

44807375945_b5410e717c_b.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom