Flying with Tanks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The guys I dive with use sidemount doubles a lot of the time, so I may look into that, I'm just always going to be more comfortable with one bigger tank over two AL80s.

What do you mean by "comfortable"? Many sidemount to get the tanks (and all that weight) off their backs. With two AL80's you have true redundancy. If you mean proficiency, certainly there is a learning curve with sidemount but I wouldn't say "always going to be".

What do you mean by "comfortable"? Many sidemount to get the tanks (and all that weight) off their backs. With two AL80's you have true redundancy. If you mean proficiency, certainly there is a learning curve with sidemount but I wouldn't say "always going to be".
Meaning I don't have back problems and prefer a single tank. And I don't prefer dragging 2 tanks around everywhere or dealing with a sidemount setup on a crowded boat.

Your call but seems to me you're doing about 20x more dragging around tanks to fly in with your own steel tanks rather than carry a couple cam bands with bolt snaps to slide onto the ubiquitous AL80's that are already there. Not seeing the point about a crowded boat, if anything the loose AL80 tanks are easier to stash. Maybe it's just fear of the unknown.

Another idea is backmount an AL80 as usual and sling another one as reserve. Someone mentioned an AL40 but you can't swing a dead cat in Mexico without hitting an AL80. Breathe your back gas to 500 and switch. You'll probably only pull 500-1000 off the slung 80 (if more, the steel 100 wasn't going to cut it) so use it again as a reserve on the remaining dives that day. Or breathe the slung 80 first and take it down below 500. So much effort saved not even having to change out your back gas.

What he said makes the most sense.
Set up a first stage with a mini button pressure guage screwed into a HP port and a single second stage. Use that tank first and save your back gas til needed. You still have two other second stages you don't need a fourth. You also don't need a sidemount bc if you have a few d rings on your bc.

I flew my pony on SW with the valve out and packing tape on the hole in my carry on. They didnt even look at it.

As to the fills, Meridiano fills their rental AL100s to 3000, so you are getting short fills. I think they do the same on private steel tanks.

Now if you could talk Dave at Aldora to filling them FULL at his operation by Casa Mission you might get a full tank.

Now if you could talk Dave at Aldora to filling them FULL at his operation by Casa Mission you might get a full tank.

Except he's diving far south on the mainland so 3 or 4 hours drive plus an hour ferry each way to get a refill probably makes that impractical.

Someone mentioned earlier that tanks were no longer allowed on the ferry from Coz to the mainland. Is this true? If so and he is flying into Cozumel this could pose an insurmountable problem. If flying into Cancun and taking the ferry over to Coz he would have to store the tanks on the mainland.

Except he's diving far south on the mainland so 3 or 4 hours drive plus an hour ferry each way to get a refill probably makes that impractical.

Reading comprehension - 1, me - 0

:surrender:

I used to work in the specialty gas industry and I dealt with high pressure gas cylinders all the time. With those containers it took a hefty machine to remove and install valves, and the torquing values on installation were specific. Are SCUBA tanks the same?

Once a cylinder is empty, you can use the back of your hand to hit the valve and open it/untwist it.

Folks...

Can't offer any advise on large tanks...travel regularly with small RB tanks 3AL 19's...with valves off...tank tops covered with clear packing tape...valves sealed in zip-lock storage bags...I identify the suitcase at check-in as being filled with dive gear...

Maybe I've been lucky...but I've never had a problem...RB travels as carry-on...

As an alternative to travelling with large steel tanks... travel with a doubles manifold...7.25 in. bands/bolt assemblies and make up a set of AL doubles at destination with rented AL 80's...I know several divers that do this...you will need a little extra lead time at the destination LDS to set up the doubles...and a small ratchet with a short ''socket extension...

One of my guys happens to be in the shop now and advised one destination LDS offered to buy the manifold and bands...so there was no disassembly and removal at the end of the trip...

All serviced tanks leave my shop with valves ''hand tight'' only...no wrenches ever...Big K bank cylinders...with tapered threads...different story...

Best...

Warren

This is a great idea

Back
Top Bottom