Stupid Question Alert

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There's your red-flag. I think you answered your own question right there.

R..

ding ding, was the dive profile unsafe? I'm not convinced it was though the multiple ascents is really just never a good idea. The unsafe thing was a 3-man team in 0-viz conditions with no proper dive plan and that could be been bad

ding ding, was the dive profile unsafe? I'm not convinced it was though the multiple ascents is really just never a good idea. The unsafe thing was a 3-man team in 0-viz conditions with no proper dive plan and that could be been bad
Any dive can go “bad” and I know it doesn’t mean much because anything can happen but, my friends were experienced (1500 dives) tecreational divers and we weren’t equipped for solo diving in 0 vis so we decided we’d all go in.

If I had their experience, I probably would have known better than to even bother looking for it in a 3 man team. Btw this isn’t my first time in 0 vis, but man looking for something in 0 vis with 3 people at less than 5m deep underneath a dark pontoon is a completely different kettle of fish ...

As for finding things in such conditions, I would be surprised if you were successful. I do not have a good record for finding lost objects myself. I once made a comment like that on another thread, though, and a police diver told me they have a great record of finding crap like guns thrown in lakes. I'll take his word for it.
Maybe they use metal detectors ?

And mark the area with lines to make a grid ?

A guy asked three of us to look for his phone in about 4-5m depth after two of my friends had done a deep dive. We came in post dive around the 20-25 mins mark about my friends had done a 35m (120’) for 40min dive and I had done a 25m for 40min.

We went down and the vis was very bad but doable, then when we reached bottom of course it was bad enough that we couldn’t see the bottom until our faces went into it....

So we were swimming around in confusion in no vis as the silty black soupie “stuff” floated around and we ended going up and repositioning ourselves about 3 times in the space of 7mins. We couldn’t find the phone.

Was this unsafe? Or any risks involved? They were breathing nitrox 32 and I was on air but after 35m dive?

Even if you found his phone its sitting at 12 to 15 feet deep in the water. I mean even if its a waterproof phone id think itd be toast yes?

Some insurance companies require the dead phone.

One of our instructor’s wife dropped hers in the dive sites porta potty. He had to go back and fish it out before they would pay off on the insurance. He put his hand in a large garbage to find it.

The clerk would not take it out of the ziplock.

Ah ok, I've never noticed anything ascending. I'll pay more attention next dive.
Cheers

when you are a brand new diver you entire head fizzles as you get to about 4 feet from the surface and if you rise fast at that point.Most of the time you will be dizzy at that point. If you stop at a few feet deep then really slowly ascend you can avoid the newbie fizzle. It only happens in the first few dives

Back
Top Bottom