What to do with "stuff" when diving...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have a mesh bag that we toss boots, masks, baby shampoo, hoods, sometimes fins and regs in. Works well.

How about a mesh wet bag? Y'all take one of those and leave it empty in the truck? Hard to see carting a bunch of dive gear – especially small stuff – without any container. Solution?

At Sand Dollar you may have to walk your stuff from the rinse tank to the unit if you want to hang it out in the breeze, but other than that the truck is always only a couple of step away. No need for bags.

How about a mesh wet bag? Y'all take one of those and leave it empty in the truck? Hard to see carting a bunch of dive gear – especially small stuff – without any container. Solution?
We've used variations of these fairly inexpensive ($30 USD) IST bags for 30+ weeks of Bonaire shore diving and have never had one taken yet (knocking on wood.). But I do tend to feel a little nervous whenever I have to rotate a shiny new one into service.

They serve several purposes for us:
- Organizational assistance when sorting, packing, and check-listing our gear in the morning before leaving the villa.
- Convenience in carrying gear to the truck, and keeping it in securely in place while driving around.
- When shore-diving we gear up out of the bags beforehand and return gear to them afterward, just like we do when boat diving.
- They make it easier to keep track of gear at the community rinse tank at the dive shop at the end of the day. Again the mental checklist while packing helps us not to forget gear.

Certainly not essential, but very helpful for our system.

20220-2877-thickbox.jpg

Never had flipflops and towels taken, nor the few jugs of water. Car and house keys go in one of those diver eggs, sunglasses (good ones, but plastic construction) go in a non-metallic case in my pocket. Some cash is in the diver egg as well.

I haven't been to Bonaire yet but am seriously considering a trip with my wife next year. The one thing that seems to be repeated regularly is "Don't leave anything in the truck". So what does everyone do with things lige eyeglasses, sunglasses etc that you probably wouldn't take on a dive with you?

can u explain where is problem....so they steal from car or what?
even if u lock it?

Been three times, never had a problem. Use cheap sunglasses when diving, leave some cash under the seat or somewhere else, we leave the keys in something in the bed of the truck, under a rock, or somewhere else. It's like the Somalian pirates are hiding behind the bushes just waiting for someone to jump in the water. Oh, I lock the truck doors too. If they want to rifle through it they will have to cross the line to do so.

can u explain where is problem....so they steal from car or what?
even if u lock it?
There IS the problem. Do NOT lock your car. Leave the windows down and take anything you do not want to "lose" with you on the dive... Especially in remote dive areas.

Think of it as the opposite of what you have learned in the past... If you raise windows and lock the doors, you will likely find broken windows and open doors when you surface.

The easiest information is to dive with everything you want to keep...

There IS the problem. Do NOT lock your car. Leave the windows down and take anything you do not want to "lose" with you on the dive... Especially in remote dive areas.

Think of it as the opposite of what you have learned in the past... If you raise windows and lock the doors, you will likely find broken windows and open doors when you surface.

The easiest information is to dive with everything you want to keep...

thanks for info....i am living in safe country...we leave also cell phone and money on beach when do diving...no one still it :wink:

Just do what works for you. I'm locking the doors even if there isn't anything in it.

thanks for info....i am living in safe country...we leave also cell phone and money on beach when do diving...no one still it :wink:

Back when I lived in a very safe Western Australia, my uncle who lived round the corner from a pub, always left his car windows down and no cigarettes inside. No one steals anything but out-of-cigs drunk people walking home at 3 am just might put a brick through the window to grab that pack left on the dashboard.

Back
Top Bottom