Dive Buddies: Dec 31-Jan 5 (2018) + NYE & BBQ Plans

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gajahduduk

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hey y'all. Starting a separate thread here as my plans get settled. Thanks to everyone here for the quick education on Bonaire, and glad to be making it happen!

As a solo traveller (male, age 50, doesn't bite) I decided to book several boat trips. But I'll be looking for shore dive buddies for:

Dec 31: after orientation, still trying to sort out when and where. will edit this when known. but esp. would like someone to continue a morning shore dive after required "boyancy check" at Dive Inn (or another Dive Friends shop potentially)

Jan 01: (earlish) morning, possibly. (afternoon 2-tank boat planned)
Jan 02: all day / night
Jan 03-05*: afternoon / evening / night

*Jan 04 tighter because: 2-tank morning with East Coast Diving & then plan on Blennies BBQ / Rum Bash @ 5:30 pm

Be pleased to have company at the Blennies BBQ Friday Jan 04. I already booked a spot by email.

Be pleased to have other ScubaBoard peeps on the morning ECD dive boat on Jan 04. (5/10 spots available as of now).

Be pleased to have company for NYE, or just suggestions about what's going on.

FWIW, staying at Djambo and diving with Dive Friends (Dive Inn). I'm PADI OW+Adventure Deep Dive+ (will be) Nitrox certified. 150+ logged dives in many conditions & places. In other words, plenty experienced, limited payments to PADI. Coming from Michigan. Darook (member here on SB) may buddy up with me on some of these.

DFB's house reef at Dive Inn is Chachacha beach (named after a local woman who used to live across the street.) It's easily one of the easiest shore entries on the island. Be aware that some, if not all, DFB locations close early on New Year's Eve and open late on New Year's Day (usually noon if memory serves.) So you might want to pick up a couple of extra tanks if you plan to dive while they're closed.

New Year's Eve is a Really Big Deal on Bonaire. They're serious about their fireworks. At midnight it's crazy all over town and they usually keep it going into the early morning hours. It's really something to see. In town, the waterfront is the place to be for the best views.

Here's an example of fireworks over city center waterfront, as viewed from Te Amo Beach near the airport:

And here's what it looks like over residential areas, as viewed from the hills in Santa Barbara just north of downtown Kralendijk:

Thanks for the info on NY! I am not watching the videos, cuz: spoiler. :) Anyone know of any public NY parties or gatherings this year?

Still looking for buddies for the dates & times in the head post above.

Especially interested in someone who would go with on my 'orientation' / 'check' dive and continue it, then do some more diving on the 31st all day. Problem is I would otherwise not be able to do a guided dive with the shop until the afternoon of my first day, thus kinda killing one of a few days of diving. You all probably know what this 'check' involves better than I, but I expect it would take a few mins only at the start.

Yeah, my wife's the one that recommended La Cantana next to the brewery. Small world.

We've been here for almost two weeks and are flying home tomorrow. I've taken the last two days off from diving (I know, heresy) -- we did Washington Slagbai yesterday and are hoping to pick up a water taxi to Klein Bonaire today. Nice fireworks last night..

Yeah, my wife's the one that recommended La Cantana next to the brewery. Small world.

We've been here for almost two weeks and are flying home tomorrow. I've taken the last two days off from diving (I know, heresy) -- we did Washington Slagbai yesterday and are hoping to pick up a water taxi to Klein Bonaire today. Nice fireworks last night..
Cool. How'd you put it together? Haven't made it there yet as it was closed the other night until now. Going to try Salatiga with Darook and Randall tomorrow. There are just too many great sites to try and so little time…

Well, it was easy because we're the only Americans at Djambo. :)
Ah so. For that to work you have to remember the key details. Nice sleuthing. May try the ceviche joint tonight. We tried Salatiga last night. A couple dishes on the super rijstafel a bit short of authentic, but overall very good. The service, however, was just about the worst I've ever seen at any restaurant ever. Waited 20-30 mins for server to even come to the table with menus or wipe drinks from last fine diners and it went on like that. Different for you?

Service there was pretty good for us, but we were there before they closed for 3 or 4 days. The places that had bad service for us included Captain Don's, El Mundo, and the crepe place on the water.

BTW -- if you want real good Indonesian, grab some from the tent in Willemena Plaza when the cruise ships are in. Just get there early, they were completely sold out by 12:45 a few days ago.

Back
Top Bottom