Lauderdale by the Sea

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There can be boats 20 ft away going 30-40 mph. I've had them go directly overhead. A dive flag is needed there even though there are boaters that ignore them

Flags are required on most boat dives also. Any reef dive, boat or beach, requires a flag. Most boats around here, you, or your group, is towing their own flag

you only need to have a flag if you get caught without one....i take one on all my drift/beach dives.

Flags are required on most boat dives also. Any reef dive, boat or beach, requires a flag. Most boats around here, you, or your group, is towing their own flag

What? I've never towed a flag diving from any comercial boat. The boat flys a flag but even the DM doesn't pull one. That includes Key Largo. Don't know if you consider that "around here" or not. But I sure as hell am not diving off a comercial operation's boat and towing a dive flag.

What? I've never towed a flag diving from any comercial boat. The boat flys a flag but even the DM doesn't pull one. That includes Key Largo. Don't know if you consider that "around here" or not. But I sure as hell am not diving off a comercial operation's boat and towing a dive flag.

They're required... and the boat has one... mounted on a metal pole somewhere on the boat... At least that's my experience.

Murky is in the eye of the beholder. Was down in Key Largo once and folks were complaining about the viz. Did some dives. It was a good 30 ft. I am delighted when I get that inshore in NC. I know folks that it is murky if less than 60.

"Around here" would be Broward County, AKA Ft Lauderdale, Pompano Beach, Deerfield Beach, etc. The flag is required by law and every boat has them for every group on drift dives. Key Largo boats, that take everyone in one big group with a guide, the flag on the boat would suffice because the boat can stay within 300' of all divers. That's not how boats around here do drift dives. They don't drop everyone in one big group so the boat cannot stay within 300' of all divers, so a flag must be taken. I've towed a flag from every commercial boat around here. The only option to not tow one would be a boat that puts a DM in the water on every dive, who then tows the flag. Around here, the only operation that does that is Pompano Dive Center.

I have over 60 dives out of Key Largo. On 6 of those which were drift dives on the outer reef a flag was towed. On 6 which were with a six pack there was a DM in the water. On all the others, over 50 dives with 5 operators, the boat tied into a buoy. We were told to be back in an hour and we went diving. Only flag was on the boat. No boat related DM with groups I was with.

"Around here" would be Broward County, AKA Ft Lauderdale, Pompano Beach, Deerfield Beach, etc. The flag is required by law and every boat has them for every group on drift dives. Key Largo boats, that take everyone in one big group with a guide, the flag on the boat would suffice because the boat can stay within 300' of all divers. That's not how boats around here do drift dives. They don't drop everyone in one big group so the boat cannot stay within 300' of all divers, so a flag must be taken. I've towed a flag from every commercial boat around here. The only option to not tow one would be a boat that puts a DM in the water on every dive, who then tows the flag. Around here, the only operation that does that is Pompano Dive Center.

Won't be diving in Broward county. I dive for freedom, not to be shackled to a harassment target/entanglement hazzard.

They're required... and the boat has one... mounted on a metal pole somewhere on the boat... At least that's my experience.

On the boat is worlds different that having to tow one myself.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom