New dry suit, got some questions...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'll add my two pence worth.

I don't see the point of moving the CVD (constant volume dump) valve. Just make sure its correctly positioned in the first place.

With regard to the Kubi's. I had my suit changed to Kubi's last year, they've been great. Previously I had Sitech dry gloves. They are certainly a lot better, small 'rings' and easier to use.
As standard I have both wrist seals and the dry gloves (unless I am using wet gloves or no gloves). I have punctured a glove during a dive.
I also did one dive in Iceland with a ripped wrist seal, and a dry glove (it was when I had the sitech system).

One advantage of the dry gloves is you can use Silicon or Latex seals. A lot of people have, or develop an allergy to the Latex. Silicon is difficult to glue. Being able to change the seal quickly with minimal effort is a major benefit.
One thing to note with Silicon is that you get little warning the seal is failing, they just tend to fail catastrophically. With Latex they go tacky, and you can see the degradation.

I have a Sitech neck seal system. I have changed the neck seal once, and found it straight forward.

James,

Your "outdoor activity" fleece may be fine. That's what I use in the low 50's. But make sure it's true fleece (synthetic) and not a cotton fleece. In my opinion, while thinsulate and primaloft are state of the art insulation, their shells don't always breathe as well as fleece. If I can't hold a garment material over my mouth and breathe through it I figure it will trap air.

boat

What does the import fees cost to get it into the US? Tis looks like it would be a great product.

Lastly, if I want to order extra seals to keep on hand, how many is a good amount to have extra? How long do silicon seals store before that become damaged from age?

I take two neck seals on any trip. And the one I have installed. Maybe a little excessive but I’d rather have unused extras than an unusable dry suit.

Also, I’ve *heard* that when you receive the neck sales in the mail, you shouldn’t use a sharp knife to open the package. It’s a painful and expensive lesson to learn. Doh!

The fleece won’t work. I’ve seen people try, it never ends well.
Could you please elaborate? The Thermal Fusion is just two layers of Polar Fleece and works very well. DRIS sells Polar Fleece jumpsuits that get great reviews. I've been using my TF since it first came out in water temps below 50 degrees including under the ice and haven't experienced the "it never ends well" aspect of fleece undergarments.

they can make it hard to reach valves. Is this true? I was recommended against a neck tite quick change system.

Necktite is an older desing that is much more rigid than newer QuickNeck and Orust systems. I have the Quickneck and if I have difficulties reaching the valves, they are due to my Santi BZ400X (that is oversize according to size table, but still very restrictive around the chest and armpit area when reaching valves). In a Weezle that is warmer than the Santi I have absolutely no issues... That said, I have seen perfect valve drills done in a Necktite ring.
Silicone seals do not tear that easily.

The fleece won’t work. I’ve seen people try, it never ends well.

Powerstretch fleece garments made for diving work quite well. Like the Kwark Navy which is surprisingly warm for its weight. Navy and a thin wicking layer could be enough for the OP. It is also really comfortable to dive compared to real coldwater undersuits. But for repetitive dives where you have to don already damp undersuit for the second dive or deco it won't be enough.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom