Hogarthian Adjustable Shoulder Strap Solution

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you are still looking for a solution, xDeep has a kit that is used to modify hog type systems to adjustable shoulder straps for $39. The kit contains the male and female buckles, triglide, and some strap material which is flexible enough to go thru the buckle.

You cut the shoulder straps, put the female buckle part on and secure the buckle with a loop of shoulder strap and a triglide. Really simple.

The male buckle part has the new webbing thru it with the loose end thru the slots in the plate. You can fix that to the plate with another triglide.

This enables the waist belt and the shoulder straps to operate independently.

After installing it on my stealth, I also converted my backmount double plate and my backmount singles plate to this system.

If you are still looking for a solution, xDeep has a kit that is used to modify hog type systems to adjustable shoulder straps for $39. The kit contains the male and female buckles, triglide, and some strap material which is flexible enough to go thru the buckle.

Thanks!

Can you provide a link? I searched their site, but did not see the male/female buckle or kit...I have seen them at DGX though...wondering if that is the same concept?

View attachment 489887 Then there is @Akimbo idea for PVC tube additions to sliders to let webbing adjust more easily. I made a bunch of these but they are a bear to install FYI search Scubaboard for akimbo rollers.

What do you find problematic about installing them?

I just bought some PVC electrical conduit in a couple different diameters and am experimenting with this. I have some compact 2-inch D rings that I am using. I didn't find any issue getting the D ring in the conduit but the thickness of the conduit I am using is not as thick as what you depicted. So far I am also finding that it does not really tighten or slacken very smoothly. Two other things I have found is that the smaller diamter conduit is worse than the larger diamter, and wrapping the conduit in electrical tape after mounting the D ring does nothing to make them work better, in fact it gets chewed up rubbing against the slots of the backplate and makes movement worse.

-Z

I have been looking for this exact solution. I just randomly came across UTD Quick Adjust on youtube when i was watching a video about another system. Does anyone have any experience with the UTD system?

UTD Quick Adjust System · UTD Scuba Diving
I made something very similar to the UTD system and just have it on one side. Works for me but I may add one the other side as well.

What do you find problematic about installing them?

I just bought some PVC electrical conduit in a couple different diameters and am experimenting with this. I have some compact 2-inch D rings that I am using. I didn't find any issue getting the D ring in the conduit but the thickness of the conduit I am using is not as thick as what you depicted. So far I am also finding that it does not really tighten or slacken very smoothly. Two other things I have found is that the smaller diamter conduit is worse than the larger diamter, and wrapping the conduit in electrical tape after mounting the D ring does nothing to make them work better, in fact it gets chewed up rubbing against the slots of the backplate and makes movement worse.

-Z
Photos? Also, pm your address and i can send you a couple of the ones i made. And you can see if they work better for you. Then again, the type of webbing you use might be heavier or lighter than mine. But the thickness of the pvc made it tough to get the $&@&$$&@ d-ring into the space.

Photos? Also, pm your address and i can send you a couple of the ones i made. And you can see if they work better for you. Then again, the type of webbing you use might be heavier or lighter than mine. But the thickness of the pvc made it tough to get the $&@&$$&@ d-ring into the space.

So, what I am finding is the PVC conduit I am using is to thin and as it gets spun by the webbing the gap opens up and catches on the slots in the back plate.

Here are pictures showing size and diameter...the smaller diameter conduit is more or less the same diameter as a US dime.

upload_2018-12-15_23-23-15.jpeg

upload_2018-12-15_23-19-28.jpeg

Right now I am trying the following, I took the smaller diamter conduit and put it around the metal piece between the two slots for the waistbelt webbing. I then ran the larger diameter conduit with the d-ring as normal, this helps a bit but I can still fell the PVC conduit flexing apart and binding. I have not tried it with a tank yet but just standing in my living room trying to manipulate it is hit or miss, sometimes it moves smoothly (though with decent friction) and sometimes it starts and just binds up. Unfortunately I cannot find thicker PVC here that has a small enough diamter to replicate this device properly. I will certainly take you up on your offer and PM you my address.

upload_2018-12-15_23-21-22.jpeg

Compare to this conduit that I got at Home Depot: also I used a deeper d-ring. I put a tape measure to give an idea of scale. The conduit has to be less than 2” to spin on a 2” d-ring. I will include one on the d-ring and one off, you can switch out for your own d-ring, but try this gizmo out for yourself before sweating about making more because the thicker conduit is not cooperative.

Attachments

• 0935CB2A-2FC9-4204-8B20-41C6D21F88CC.jpeg
    0935CB2A-2FC9-4204-8B20-41C6D21F88CC.jpeg
    65.2 KB · Views: 102
Compare to this conduit that I got at Home Depot: also I used a deeper d-ring. I put a tape measure to give an idea of scale. The conduit has to be less than 2” to spin on a 2” d-ring. I will include one on the d-ring and one off, you can switch out for your own d-ring, but try this gizmo out for yourself before sweating about making more because the thicker conduit is not cooperative.

I stuck a long needle nose plier through the conduit and had my daughter use it to spread it open to provide the space for me to stick the d-ring on.

-Z

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom