The luggage weighting game

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Air Marshall islands weighed us with our carry on bag when we flew to Bikini. No extra charges though. They were figuring out how much fuel they had to buy.

The first time I returned from Roatan I had my carry on weighed. It was over because my winter jacket was in it. So i put it on to make the petty functionary feel better and then I stuffed it back in the bag after passing security.

The only other time was at Narita in Tokyo. Laptop in the carry on was over weight. Laptop carried in second bag outside the carry on was perfectly fine.

On a recent Cathay Pacific long haul flight, a flight attendant was standing at the door to the plane with a weigh in her hand, and I saw 1 piece of standard carry on size luggage got tagged for check in. I didn’t see the actual weighing and check-in demand or incident but I put 2 and 2 together and figured that’s what happened.

As we approached her and the mouth of the door, one of her colleagues distracted her with a question, and some of us passengers continued past her without being stopped. Thank goodness as our carry on was way overweight!

On our next flight on Garuda, we will be repacking and placing our regs into check in bags as they have a very generous limit of 70lbs/32kgs. No point in risking it now that we know they check!

I use a pocket weight belt with suspenders and would bring the weights if I needed the belt. Of course, that would mean I'm flying from Nova Scotia to someplace other than South.
If you're going to the tropics it wouldn't matter much either way as you probably need very little weight.
The one time I did (Panama), the security lady (in NS) held my 2 pound weight and made a swinging motion. As if that would be someone's weapon of choice.... But we all know how that is. In 2001 they confiscated my supply of matches to light my pipe and GAVE me a LEGAL cigarette lighter.

Is there a reason for carrying your own weights ?
I thought you could pretty much 'borrow' them from any diving boat/operation that you will use ?

When I went to Hawai'i we were doing a lot of shore diving and it cost around $8-9/day to rent weights so that's about $200 (almost two weeks) for two people. If I can manage to fit them in and not be overweight then I'll bring them along sometimes. If I'm going someplace where I'll only be boat diving then they supply the weights anyway. This is, of course, the amount of weight needed for tropical locations and a thin wetsuit. If I had to bring 50 pounds of lead then I'd probably just buy it used on Craig's list or a swap meet, if available. Recently I bought some weights and gave them away at the end of my trip--it was cheaper than renting them and my friends got some free weights.

In addition to just dive trips we are considering renting a place (probably Cozumel) and we'll probably bring some weights with us, but maybe not all in one trip. The first time I ever flew on an airliner was to Maui and I had about 18 pounds of weights in my carry-on. I got to keep my weights and made it there and back but TSA did not like it very much. I guess that's how they get you--they may not weigh the carry-on but they sure do X-ray it so you can't just get away with not paying for the checked bag.

I recently made a trip to Isla Mujeres off Cancun, and it was really hard staying under the baggage weight limit for that trip. On the way back, I got snagged for being over weight on my checked bag and had to carry one of my fins with my carry on to avoid fees. Whats the point of that? Its still going on the plane, just inconveniencing me. I am sure lots of people were wondering.... why is that guy carrying just one fin?

Lots of our stuff was just old and heavy. The first thing was buying new luggage, and BCDs. My one piece of luggage empty weighed 8 lbs! I was diving a XL Zeagle Tech, and She, a LG Ranger.... so i purchased 2 Zeagle Covert XTs. I saved 10 pounds per person just changing out those two things right there! Quick drying towel instead of Cotton. Scuba Pro Nova Wings instead of rubber jet fins saved me 4 lbs. That makes them worth the $220 they charge. Rechargeable lights, batteries...

Regardless to say, when I buy gear now, I pay attention to weight, cause every ounce adds up. If it costs a little more, but weighs a little less, I will pay the price. I have a long pacific trip coming up and my weight limit is 2 x 70 lbs for check in and 15 lb for carry on. Once I get off the main carriers it drops to 1 x 67lb bag for check in. No carry on, but you can have a personal item. They start weighing everything once I get to the small planes.

So the reality is one 67 lb bag for three weeks and one personal item, which, is photo stuff/DC for me. It has become quite a challenge and I have an attic full of safari grade heavy duty luggage which is useless now.
-Ken

I recently made a trip to Isla Mujeres off Cancun, and it was really hard staying under the baggage weight limit for that trip. On the way back, I got snagged for being over weight on my checked bag and had to carry one of my fins with my carry on to avoid fees. Whats the point of that? Its still going on the plane, just inconveniencing me. I am sure lots of people were wondering.... why is that guy carrying just one fin?

Lots of our stuff was just old and heavy. The first thing was buying new luggage, and BCDs. My one piece of luggage empty weighed 8 lbs! I was diving a XL Zeagle Tech, and She, a LG Ranger.... so i purchased 2 Zeagle Covert XTs. I saved 10 pounds per person just changing out those two things right there! Quick drying towel instead of Cotton. Scuba Pro Nova Wings instead of rubber jet fins saved me 4 lbs. That makes them worth the $220 they charge. Rechargeable lights, batteries...

Regardless to say, when I buy gear now, I pay attention to weight, cause every ounce adds up. If it costs a little more, but weighs a little less, I will pay the price. I have a long pacific trip coming up and my weight limit is 2 x 70 lbs for check in and 15 lb for carry on. Once I get off the main carriers it drops to 1 x 67lb bag for check in. No carry on, but you can have a personal item. They start weighing everything once I get to the small planes.

So the reality is one 67 lb bag for three weeks and one personal item, which, is photo stuff/DC for me. It has become quite a challenge and I have an attic full of safari grade heavy duty luggage which is useless now.
-Ken
The point of this is it's just a money grab. You used to get two free checked bags, then one, now none. And everyone stuffs their carry-on so they announce they'll check it free. This helps to "unstuff" the overhead bins--that are stuffed full due to everyone avoiding checked baggage fees. Then they wonder why people stand up ready to board before they are supposed to--in order to get an overhead space above their seat. And, the same amount of weight is on the plane that was there in 1990. It's just a money grab.
Now, don't let me get started on the Airlines...…...

Well, I've been looking at vest options but so far chose not to pull the trigger. Your suggestion is of course extra discreet! Now why is it that I get the feeling that somewhere there on the airport there might be you... with your camera... at the ready for this rare wildlife photography opportunity of catching an overdone scuba tourist on his natural migration path? :wink:

also cargo pants with lots of pockets. you can carry unlimited weight on your own body in shirts vests and pants.

I was weighed with my carry on in Panama and Grenada. Yes, my body and my luggage. Pretty sure Panama was a money grab, whereas Grenada was because of small plane.

Back in 2012 flying Sydney to Cairns carry ons were weighed (and mine repacked.....grrrrr).

I was weighed with my carry on in Panama and Grenada. Yes, my body and my luggage. Pretty sure Panama was a money grab, whereas Grenada was because of small plane.
Yep, but only when all is weighted (including the body) is there at least a chance that they could need the info for weight and balance (trim). When they give you a hard time with your checked bag 10lbs under and your right sized soft, squish and bin fit table carry-on 8lbs over, especially while at the same time still allowing some of those slightly oversized wheeled carry-ons that fit into the bin sideways only, taking up 1.5+ spots, ... know for sure what that is about...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom