Canon G7X vs. Olympus TG-4

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diver0008

New
Reaction score
Hello,

I am a very amateur photgrapher about ready to move up from a GoPro.

I am considering the G7X or TG-4. Both are available to me with housings and within my budget. The Canon with a Fantasea housing, and the Olympus with one of theirs.

Are there any major differences between the two that I should take into consideration before I make my purchase?

Thank-you in advance for any advice.

Is the ability to use manual exposure important to you? GX7 supports manual mode, TG4 does not. If you get into difficult lighting situations you may find the TG4 lacking.

Last edited:
If you can get either near the same price, the g7x is the right choice probably. As others have pointed out, it's got better manual controls and a larger sensor. I'm not familiar with the fantasea housing, might check to see what type of wet lens options it supports in case you want to add a wide-angle lens or macro lens.

The only advantage I can think of for the tg-4 is not needing a housing for snorkeling or similar shallow water activities.

I am surprised the GX7x with housing is priced similar to the TG-4.

The TG-4 has very good macro capabilities built in. No need for an external macro lens. So if you are into macro, add the cost of a macro lens to the Canon.

Thank you very much for the informative replies.

The very good, and easy to use, one button white balance correction on the Canon G7X was a deciding factor for me in selection of the G7X over all of the other compact cameras. Also, I would not trade the G7X camera's 1 inch sensor for that on the TG4 any day of the week. For me, the decision was a no brainer.

The very good, and easy to use, one button white balance correction on the Canon G7X was a deciding factor for me in selection of the G7X over all of the other compact cameras
That's something that Canon decided to dispense with on the Mark II version for some reason, unfortunately. On balance I'd still go with the Mk II though.

Last edited:
I use the G7X with Fantasea housing and I'm very happy with both (I have no experience with the Olympus, I'm just giving my 2 cents on the Canon). I don't use the one button white balance - when I bought it, I thought I would, but I do it in Lightroom. You need an adaptor with that housing to attach a macro lens. I've only just bought one even though macro is my thing - the camera does really well at macro even without a wet lens. You just have to crop the images. A lot :)

What did you finally pick up?

Hello,

I am a very amateur photgrapher about ready to move up from a GoPro.

I am considering the G7X or TG-4. Both are available to me with housings and within my budget. The Canon with a Fantasea housing, and the Olympus with one of theirs.

Are there any major differences between the two that I should take into consideration before I make my purchase?

Thank-you in advance for any advice.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom