Aqualung Fusion AIRCORE Breathable Drysuits

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dive Right In Scuba

ScubaBoard Business Sponsor
ScubaBoard Business Sponsor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
So, Aqualung just released their Breathable Fusion drysuit, they call it the Aircore, as the full inner core is a breathable material. I had the chance to test dive this suit in Canada last year on a visit, IMPRESSIVE!

- Lightweight
- Easy to get on and off which is really important for a drysuit
- DURABLE - Fusions are already known to be bullet proof due to having an outer liner, and it's unchanged on this new series
- Breathable - This is the most impressive part. I was diving with an MK2 undergarment, on a 92degree day. BEFORE the dive, I was fully zipped and sitting on the bow of the boat, not even thinking about the suit or the heat. After about 30 minutes, I realized I wasn't baking in the sun. I should have been feeling that heat after about 5 minutes, and I was perfectly comfortable and just hanging out. I've never had that before a dive before with a suit on.
- Dry - Perfectly dry and comfortable in the water. Due to the fusion design, this is a match made in diver heaven!
- NO NOISE- A HUGE complaint about fusions in the past was that they were noisy. People called them the trash bag suit. And, well, it was noisy. Most people didn't care, but it did turn a few off of this suit. This Aircore, makes no noise, it's not a bag suit and is extremely comfortable and light weight with no noise what so ever.

I have mine in the mail to me right now, and I will post a video when I get it, but now that my Confidentiality Agreement is over from the dives last year, I'm PUMPED to finally share the news with everyone!

They are fully shipping in about 10 days, so feel free to respond here, call, or PM me any questions on the suit. It's Currently only available in the Apeks KVR which is their kevlar overlay, the Fusion Bullet which is the Aqualung top of the line bulletproof neoprene skin, and the Fusion Fit which is made exclusively for women with it's cut.

Here is a link to the Aircore Suits. We will have packages with undergarments online tomorrow:
Search results for: 'aircore' - Dive Right in Scuba

For the next 2 weeks, any AIRCORE purchase will come with our Lifetime Platinum Drysuit Warranty which covers just about anything you do to the suit for the life of the suit!!
Read more:
Lifetime Drysuit Warranty - Dive Right in Scuba

Just Mention that you saw this message on Scubaboard and we will add it to your online order, or you can call to take advantage of this as well. Welcome to the new Future of drysuits!!

Thanks for taking so much time to talk with me about the suit today. Makes a purchase decision that much easier. Sounds like it will be an amazing setup and can't wait to dive it. I'll be sure to post my impressions of it as soon as I can get mine in the water.
One thing I forgot to ask and do not see on DRIS or Apeks site is if it's a sock or booted suit? None of the size charts list foot size or type. Figured I should ask this question here as others may have the same question.

Sorry, ha ha...we didn't go over that today. I kind of assumed you would use your overboots from your Hollis

So, the suit comes with a sock, that is a generic size and covers a wide range of feet depending on the size of the suit. Then, you can put on an overboot like you have, or their Evo 3 boot. Also, it has velcro along the bottom of the sock. This is to mate up with their Fusion boot. The Fusion boot velcros onto the suit, and remains like a permanent solution. Locking into the velcro at the ankle and the bottom of the sock. A foot pad goes inside to lock the sock, into the boot. This is a cool option as you can remove the boot if needed, but for the most part, you just leave it on the suit.

Hope that helps, and congrats on your new KVR1 Aircore drysuit!!!

Makes perfect sense and why I saw it shown with and without a bo and why I did not see any info on it as an option.
Glad it is a sock as do like an overboot as can size depending on thermal sock.

Thank you again.

saridnour, I know this is an old thread but I figured you had enough time with the KVR1 now to give an informative review.
I am looking to possibly get a KVR1 and wondered how it has held up for you.

saridnour, I know this is an old thread but I figured you had enough time with the KVR1 now to give an informative review.
I am looking to possibly get a KVR1 and wondered how it has held up for you.

It's badass Overvoltage, we've sold a lot since this post, and everyone has been thoroughly happy about their purchase. Right now, we are giving away our lifetime warranty with the purchase of one, but that ends at midnight tonight when all the Black Friday sales end. It's our Platinum warranty too, that includes free seals, patches, leaky seams, zipper replacement, and booth replacement for life, for free!

Fusion KVR1 with Aircore Drysuit

Review.. yes about time I post one :)
Love the suit. Best I have owned. I have owned Hollis, DUI, Posiden, OS and USIA in the past 30ish years.

About me: I am a bigger guy. 6'2" 250lbs and fit tall due to arm length. I am TEC certified and dive side mount in cold water. I find most suits restrictive around the shoulders and arms and limit my reach. Thermals are fourth element arctics most of the time. I bought the XXL and found the 4XL a bit to big.

To keep it simple I'll bullet point most of this and stick to specifics of this suit and will leave out things like how great replaceable seals are, etc. I will say right out it's a great suit and I recommend it to anyone looking for a new suit. But to each their own.

I'll start with the bad as this is what anyone will weigh the most:
1- With the two layers outer skin/liner you have to take time to wash between the layers to get the salt out. I don't take them apart at wash but force water between the layers to flush them. Just take more time. I have still never taken them apart.. seems complicated and not worth the effort unless I needed.. and haven't.
2- Dry time is longer than other shells.
3- Harder to pee due to zipper placement.
4- Outer shell will fray somewhat. Not sure that is correct wording but the suit gets a lot of pulls or loose strings protruding from it in use areas. Also fades from new even with proper storage and care. Mines a lighter gray now.
5- Depending on your BC's straps, I find the zipper pushes the straps out and off the zipper between it and my shoulder.This binds my arm movements some. This is compared to when off BUT this is still far better than any other suit I've worn.
6- Pockets work well but the inner pocket adjustment strings are in a separate section\pocket in the pocket. Sometimes you will reach into pocket you reach into that area vs the actual pocket. More so when dropping something in during a dive. Not a big issue but does make for some task loading using the pockets when placing something in them for later retrieval in dive. More so an issue with dry gloves as hard to get deep in the pockets side area due to glove ring. Hopefully that makes sense.
7- Getting arms in and out can be tight. I have a 49" chest and its a bit of a squeeze through zipper with shoulders but once you get it down its just fine.
8- The inner liner zips to the outer. The inner zippers unzips over time/movement and need to be checked/zipped before each donning or you risk the main waterproof zipper being loose in the shell and not wanting to be zipped\unzipped as pulling pulls it from the suit. Just something different than other suits that you need remember but a minor thing.
9- Price of replacement KVR outer shells. :shocked:

The Good:
1- Flexibility is top notch. If I did yoga, I could prob do a lot of it in this suit.. in other words, most of my movement in suit matches my movement out of the suit.
2- Durable over all. I see no pending issues with #100 dives now on it.
3- Easy to get on once you learn how.
4- large enough girth in arms/legs/ankle to fit well, ease don/doff and still keeps a low profile once on. Iv'e had divers ask if it was a wetsuit.

On the fence or unknowns:
1- Breath-ability.. Not sure I notice much. I sweat a lot.. most times wonder if I leaked. I did not see any difference from my prior non breathable to this as to dampness from sweat. Weather in Seattle commonly ranges from 90f to 30f seasonably and 45-55ish water temps to give an idea of temp range used.
2- repairs. I have not had to aqua seal or repair any leaks.. this is a good thing but can not comment on how well repairs hold up in the material.

Other thoughts:
- Try one one!! LEARN how to do it correctly.. as in watch the videos out there where you roll it down and work your way up. Don/Doff it a few times in undergarments. Don't try once and not like it. It's different and like most things different it takes something to get used to and or appreciate.
- Shameless plug: Dive right in worked with me on getting the right fit. Recommend them for this suit and in general. I got the Platinum warranty but have not had to use it other than replacement wrist seals, but love the comfort of knowing I'm covered.

Feel free to ask questions and will do my best to answer.

Thanks for the review. I was already sold on the suit. Your review has sealed it fir me. My LDS is hooking me up with a sweet deal on one. I buy a lot of gear from them. No suit is perfect and the negatives you mentioned seem fairly minor but I appreciate you giving such an honest and thorough review so I know what issues to keep an eye out for.

What dry glove do you use with this suit?

Saridnour, how much lead do you have to use when diving in the KVR1 compared to when you dive in a wetsuit?

Thanks for the review. I was already sold on the suit. Your review has sealed it fir me. My LDS is hooking me up with a sweet deal on one. I buy a lot of gear from them. No suit is perfect and the negatives you mentioned seem fairly minor but I appreciate you giving such an honest and thorough review so I know what issues to keep an eye out for.

What dry glove do you use with this suit?

I have the Fusion Fit (women’s model). I use Waterproof Ultima. That or Kubi are your choices. Antares sucks by all reports.

Back
Top Bottom