Leaky Dump Valve on Traveler BC - help for a field repair fix?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

comodino

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Dear Halcyon and whoever can assist me,

I've been diving on a Traveler BC for over 1000 dives now, and I am facing a serious leak for which I need some help: it leaks from the manual dump valve.
The bonding/welding between the bladder and the OPRV plastic has partially failed and while I can dive without issues, the BC cannot stay fully inflated.

I am an instructor working in a remote area where there is no access to Halcyon dealers or technicians and while I will, as soon as I can, replace said wing, I would need a suggestion on which type of glue to use as a temporary fix.
I tried the glue normally used to repair vinyl inflatables and a general plastic epoxy but both failed to adhere the bladder to the valve.
What method would you suggest?
I am aware that this would not be a definitive solution but at the moment I have no other option than trying to glue the two parts together.

Unfortunately I do not have access to a spare BC and cannot/don't want to spend money purchasing a locally available jacket style BC for obvious reasons.

I also managed to get ahold of an xDeep complete OPRV assembly (that sandwiches the bladder) but the diameter of the hole on the bladder is slightly too wide to guarantee a good seal if I decided to replace the old valve with the xDeep one.

Thank you for your help.

I used the same glue from another manufacturer with no luck: the problem is that I don't have a "hole" to repair, I need to attach the fabric of the bladder to the valve itself, which is plastic.
This "aquaseal" type glue doesn't adhere to the plastic.

Aquaseal should work. Scuff the plastic with some sandpaper first and wipe it off with some acetone to make sure it's clean and plastic dust free.

Aquaseal is used all the time to seal p-valves on dry suits.

Back
Top Bottom