Okinawa Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Manatee Diver

Stop throwing lettuce at me!
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
None - Not Certified
I have to go to Japan in July for something and figured I could pop down to Okinawa and do some diving. Unfortunately the information on the internet in english is pretty hit or miss, and in Japanese uses a lot of kanji that I am not familiar with so it is painful to read. Can anyone give me a run down of the diving?

I will say that shore diving isn't my thing, I don't require valet diving (in fact I avoid it when I can), and my Japanese isn't horrible, but it isn't great. Cert wise I am AOW + Nitrox with experience with drift diving and deep diving.

Might not help much but i can tell you that I've heard a dive buddy of mine speaking about his trip to Okinawa several years ago and doing some interesting shark dives.

A quick google search yielded this, hope this will help - Diving Spots | VISIT OKINAWA JAPAN

If you PM I live here in Okinawa and can get you any information you want.

I have to go to Japan in July for something and figured I could pop down to Okinawa and do some diving. Unfortunately the information on the internet in english is pretty hit or miss, and in Japanese uses a lot of kanji that I am not familiar with so it is painful to read. Can anyone give me a run down of the diving?

I will say that shore diving isn't my thing, I don't require valet diving (in fact I avoid it when I can), and my Japanese isn't horrible, but it isn't great. Cert wise I am AOW + Nitrox with experience with drift diving and deep diving.

Lots of easy options in English for the main island and many offer boat diving to neighbouring Kerama islands. Jan from Piranha Diving will be able to help you out.

Another favorite option of mine is to take a direct flight to Ishigaki island to see the manta rays. Contact Prime Scuba and ask for Zohar.

Another favorite option of mine is to take a direct flight to Ishigaki island to see the manta rays. Contact Prime Scuba and ask for Zohar.

Hopefully a few are still there in July, but my current plan is 2-3 diving days in Okinawa, and 2-3 diving days Ishigaki. Plus tourist days in each location. I am debating if I want to dive Izu or not, or just spend more time in Tokyo.

Now as I've been doing my research and contacting companies almost no one offers nitrox, even though some dives like the Emmons would benefit from it.

Were you able to make your travel plans yet? Nitrox is certainly available here and plenty of operators to choose from.

Were you able to make your travel plans yet? Nitrox is certainly available here and plenty of operators to choose from.

Not yet, I will probably making them in the next couple of weeks.

Prime Scuba is a great option on Ishigaki. I was sidelined due to a cold but my buddy was diving with them and it seemed really great.

Zohar and Nico are both super cool. My buddy is actually close friends with Nico.

I've heard good things about Pirhana but have not used them personally.

Prime is who I am planning to dive with in Ishigaki.

I'll second the recommendation for Piranha for Okinawa, though they are midway up Okinawa from Naha. I had dove with Sea Sir in Naha, but the boat is mixed snorkelers, DSD, OW, etc., so don't expect deeper dives than 15m. It's not so interesting for the experienced diver.

For Ishigaki, I like Viking Scuba with Toyo and Anna. Toyo is great at finding the tiniest things.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom