Hogarthian Adjustable Shoulder Strap Solution

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you take the Halcyon Cinch system route, be aware that it will only work on Halcyon BPs. It's ok, I use the H-Cinch on Singles. Here's where the pain is. If you use the same Halcyon Backplate Cinch system for Doubles, you will have a problem. The Cinch hardware lifts the BP by several mm off of the Doubles and there may not be enough thread on the doubles bolt to screw the wing nut and lock the BP. You will need a bolt extender. Halcyon provides the bolt extender but only for the thin bolts. If you're renting doubles (Europe and Asia) and it comes with thicker bolts, the Halcyon bolt extender won't work. Yes you can adjust the bolt length on the doubles but it's another step.

This may sound harsh but why don't you let her figure out what she want's? You said the DIR setup works for you great but may not be what she wants and then you also said you wanted to steer her away from certain things. You've been given some good options show them to her and let her figure it out in the end she needs to be comfortable with it not you.
Wasn't brave enough to say that myself but now that someone has I'll second that!

Made my own adjustable harness, somewhat similar to the high dollar cinch system. Really like it.

Have a look at the Sub Gravity Adjustable Harness System. It's simple and all the hardware is stainless steel.
Adjustable Harness System - Subgravity
Wow, twice as much as the Golem Gear G2. You to get the nice d-rings on the lower adjustable shoulder-strap ends, but it doesn't look like you get the waist buckle.

One of the things that held me back from going the BPW route was the perception of a lack of adjustability. I was at a LDS one day and the guy there showed me how he had his set up. I bought a 2nd hand plate a wing & some webbing and set mine up like his and after some minor tweaking all I can say is that it works slick! It is not in the truest sense of the word "Hogarthian" (although, considering that my last name actually is Hogarth, I guess the argument could be made that any way I rig it would be "Hogarthian".)

Anyways, notwithstanding my name, here is how I have mine rigged. It starts at the shoulders the same way you would with any BPW.
_DSC2278.jpg

The difference is that instead of running the main webbing through the bottom of the Back Plate, I have taken another piece of webbing about 12-18 inches long (in my case, this is the black webbing) and threaded that through the Back Plate, put a D-Ring on it and secured it with a tri-glide. I then ran my main webbing through the D-Ring from behind.
_DSC2285.jpg

The D-Ring allows the main webbing to move freely through it and it can instantly either be snugged as tight as needed or loosened as much as needed depending on if you are getting into it (loosen it off) or getting ready to dive (pull it nice & snug).

_DSC2284.jpg

This may not be an ideal solution for everybody, but for me, It works very well. Admittedly, it does introduce two potential points of failure that otherwise wouldn't be there, but I can get in and out of it just as fast as someone with a BCD that has shoulder clips.

I don't know if this will meet your needs or not, but I thought that I would share.

IMHO, the ideal adjustment has enough resistance at the lower guides so the weight doesn't pull all the slack to the shoulder straps. It doesn't matter much if you always don the rig with all of the weight of the cylinders supported by a bench but really helps when standing and putting the tank(s) on.

In any case, adjusting this way is much simpler than strap length adjustment on both shoulders. The concept goes back to the 1960s backpacks.

full.jpg

Just as expected, there are a lot of experienced members replying with excellent tried and true solutions!

My wife (and I) have enjoyed reading the replies and really appreciate the depth of knowledge on this forum. Hoping she’ll be setting up her own account shortly in order to post “first hand” questions and responses. I know you all will welcome her just as you do every new member.

In the mean time she looks forward to trying the numerous, simple solutions presented and hopes to provide feedback from her perspective.

Thank you!

I find the adjusting, if ever needed, between different suites, simple. You just move the triglides (where the webbing go from sholderstrap to waistband) one cm or two, takes less than a minute. If you like to you can mark different setting with a colored sewing thread.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom