New Diver First reg purchase

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@twofor2
A couple of items to catch up on here:

You mention your budget is about $300, and Calypso is considered one of your options. Since the MSRP for the Calypso is $299, I want to be sure you know what you get for that price. That is for the 1st stage and the primary 2nd stage. You will still need to add an octopus, an inflator hose, and some combination of gauges/computers to go diving. So hopefully your budget doesn't really cap at $300. (if you are also shopping for a BCD, the inflator hose almost always is included by the manufacturer)

Can I also assume that diving in New Jersey means you will sometimes be diving in water colder than 50° F?
If so, then you need to be sure you get a cold water rated regulator.
I don't see any mention of that in the Alpha 10 specs, although it might be an oversight. I do know for certain that the current Calypso version IS tested and approved for cold water, even though Aqualung does not play this up on their website. I also see that the Alpha 10 says the average Work of Breathing is 1.23 joules/liter, while the Calypso is 1.0 joules/liter. I would characterize that difference as "okay" versus "pretty darn good." No guarantee that they both set their ANSTI machine to test the same, but I know that the Aqualungs tests use the EU CE testing standards as their benchmark, and so do not provide a misleading low number using liberal non-comparable settings. I suspect Oceanic uses the same settings, and would very surprised if they instead used tougher standards resulting in the higher WOB.

Obviously I am far more familiar with Aqualung than with Oceanic, as I am only a dealer for the first one. But I know that the Calypso is a surprisingly good value, and see nothing listed for the Alpha 10 that assures me it is comparable.

Addendum: If you do get the Calypso and will use in cold water, do NOT get the slightly cheaper ABS octo. Get the Calypso/Titan octo, as that will also be coldwater rated.

the budget of 300-400 is mainly just for the 1st and 2nd stage. It doesn't include gauges, octo etc.
Also most my diving will be around 50 degrees +. Wont plan on doing any diving in the colder months. Mostly during spring and summer.

While Deep6 is the current darling here be sure to read and understand their service model as they are optimal for self-service and never plan to have a dealer network. They do provide a free service kit or options to mail it back to them in GA for service but do you want to do that periodically?

If you can stretch to $440 for a 1st/2nd stage only - I'd look hard at an Atomic Aquatics Z2. Breathes the same as their $1600 T3 and has a 2 year/300 dive factory recommended service interval. Atomic Aquatics Z3/Z2 Regulator

Z2 Regulator - $439 - Dive Right in Scuba

the difference between the Z23Z3 is the 2nd stage swivel hose.and about $100

I/ve been diving various Atomic's for about a decade - they just work Effortless breathing.

A solid, reliable side-exhaust is the Poseidon Jetsteam. It's double your budget new. I've used one - they're as good as my Atomics - just a little "pushier" at depth since they use a servo assist design.

Oceanic offered a side exhaust a few years ago but no longer offer it on their website - have to wonder why?

Even if you could find one cheap, I'd guess 2nd stage parts are proprietary to the design and hard to find.
In terms of side exhaust I'm realizing that I might've used the wrong wording. More looking for something with a exhaust defector which most non low end models seem to have which expands my search.

For what it’s worth I just retired my oceanic set (Delta 4 / FDX10) it was fine underwater but service has been getting more difficult every time. The company has been bounced around and has suffered for it.

My wife dives Atomic Z2, it’s been great for us and I just got a Deep6 set. It’s great in the pool! Will know more after a winter trip.

Figure out how you want to get your service done and weigh that heavily in your decision.

At least, that’s my advice.

I just want to emphasize that ANY dives below 50° risk a regulator freeze up, not just infrequent dives. I recently had a Titan freeze up at 45° at 5 minutes into the dive.

If you can stretch to $440 for a 1st/2nd stage only - I'd look hard at an Atomic Aquatics Z2. Breathes the same as their $1600 T3 and has a 2 year/300 dive factory recommended service interval. Atomic Aquatics Z3/Z2 Regulator

Z2 Regulator - $439 - Dive Right in Scuba

the difference between the Z23Z3 is the 2nd stage swivel hose.and about $100

I/ve been diving various Atomic's for about a decade - they just work Effortless breathing.

You can also pop on the larger exhaust diverter from the M1 onto the Z2 (not that I've ever had any problem with the exhaust bubbles from my Z2 without) if bubbles are a concern. Can be had for ~$20

F
is it possible to seal a unsealed 1st stage?

For an Atomic? Yes, they can pack the first stage and use a different sealed collar. Relatively simple, but prices may vary. (Plus sealed first stages are generally harder to work on (messier) and may cost more to have done.)

Depends on the specific item. For instance, an Aqualung Core can be converted to a Core Supreme by changing some parts, and lowering the intermediate pressure. But there is no universal ability to environmentally seal any 1st stage.

And assuming you are asking that in a cold water use context - while a sealed 1st stage is a frequent component of a cold water system, it is usually not the only component. Do not assume that any 2nd stage put on a sealed 1st stage will be sufficiently resistant to freezing.

F

For an Atomic? Yes, they can pack the first stage and use a different sealed collar. Relatively simple, but prices may vary. (Plus sealed first stages are generally harder to work on (messier) and may cost more to have done.)
In general, a dry sealed system is not any harder or more expensive to work on.
A silicone oil filled system such as the Mares Navy or a Christolube packed system such as the Atomics will be a pricey mess.

In general, a dry sealed system is not any harder or more expensive to work on.
A silicone oil filled system such as the Mares Navy or a Christolube packed system such as the Atomics will be a pricey mess.

Sorry, yes I was only speaking with regards to the Atomics and should not be listened to about anything else (and barely at all for those.)

Back
Top Bottom