Two German divers drown at Gran Cenote Kalimba at Tulum

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As stated in the other post. true no one should use a scooter in there for cave conservation, but a scooter could be brought in from there to use it in the main tunnel..

I do doubt that they are same distance. I am very certain that it takes about 20 min from the Jump to Gran at "normal" pace swimming (having that done so many times) while it is only 10 max 15 min or so to Ho Tul I think as I remember.. Did that passage less often because when I wanted to go to to cuzan Nah area I take the direct route from Gran and when I stay on main I head towards Paso de Lagarto

You are correct about the distance, Ho Tul is a lot closer. It’s not even as far away as in your recollection. The distance to the jump is perhaps 80 meters or so. It took four minutes to swim.

Let’s not be upset at anyone commenting on scootering in that cave system. That is not what is important here. Two qualified cave divers passed away. First we must show respect for them, they deserve that much. Second we cave certified divers must understand and learn from their mistake(s). I’m am not critical of their decisions, but want/need to learn from their decisions and why they made them. We all make mistakes from time to time.

Two qualified cave divers passed away. First we must show respect for them, they deserve that much.
you did catch that one of them was my friend? so please do not explain me about my respect for them!
I stayed away from any forum, facebook etc. for a full week, because I knew some BS comments might upset me and trigger a response..
When a friend passes doing what we all love it is even worse to leave untrue statements be..
I just needed to comment on the scooter part..

you did catch that one of them was my friend? so please do not explain me about my respect for them!
I stayed away from any forum, facebook etc. for a full week, because I knew some BS comments might upset me and trigger a response..
When a friend passes doing what we all love it is even worse to leave untrue statements be..
I just needed to comment on the scooter part..
My comment wasn't directed at you. I want anyone who reads this to show respect for these two guys that passed away. The best place to read the truth is from one of the people that found them. That has already been copied and posted here. What I don't want either, is false information or critisisum being posted.

off topic here.. but that statement is just wrong. Of course you can scooter in the Main Tunnel of Sac Actun System..I have done that plenty of times..
Scootering in from Kalimba entrance? ok different story.. on should not do that to protect the cave, but it would also be possible to bring a scooter in from Kalimba..
But as pointed out before irrelevant to this post as they had no scooters.
One of the deceased was my friend..

That's why I said it. They went in through kalimba. No way you'd haul a scooter from that entrance to the open part of the cave.

Is a map still wanted?

Attachments

• 20181027_120123.jpg
    20181027_120123.jpg
    106.2 KB · Views: 641
This is the T the arrows change direction, those cookies have the name of the cenote with an --> arrow drawn to the corresponding direction. I always thought it was a goofy thing to have that much gear if teams were traversing both directions.

Attachments

• received_1893352770711958.jpeg
    received_1893352770711958.jpeg
    40 KB · Views: 707

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

Whilst we can all appreciate a little levity from time to time, this thread is probably not the time nor place for it.

We would also like to thank the members in this thread for managing to keep themselves on track and being sensitive to one another. Let's keep it that way.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom