Sharing a video I made from the Galapagos

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AngryMoth

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
It's all just amateur footage from my TG5 but this is the first one of these I've done that I feel really proud of so thought I'd share.

I was a bit disappointed with how some of the wide shots turned out, I'm not sure if it's down to the TG5 or wide angle lens I was using but some scenes that looked clear in real life like the big schools of hammerheads turned out very blurry in video. The vis looks 5-10m worse than it actually was.

This was one of the best weeks of my life, diving just totally on a different level than anywhere I've been before. We were lucky to have excellent conditions and saw everything you can reasonably expect to see. Only highlight that didn't make it into the video was a flightless cormorant going past my face because I'd fat fingered the record button earlier haha.

That looks like it was an awesome trip, all that was from one trip!? How long were you there for?

Yep, that looks like an awesome trip! Thanks!

It’s not amateurish at all , it’s fabulous , many thanks for sharing !

And another thing, what was the music, I like itiand it really worked with video, which i forgot to mention was pretty damn good. You have to keep in mind the "Blue Planet" type productions have huge budgets, all the time in the world, and multiple cameras going on every dive.

great video want to go now! - scene at 42sec is off putting but I guess thats the way it is

That looks like it was an awesome trip, all that was from one trip!? How long were you there for?
One trip yeah. The amount of bucket list stuff you can see in just a week is incredible. Sadly I was literally there only for the liveaboard and didn't have time to do any land based diving or activities by myself. This trip wasn't exactly the best financial decision I've ever made but there was an unbelievable last minute going and the Galapagos is my dream destination so I felt like it might be a once in a lifetime chance and booked it all on 2 weeks notice.
And another thing, what was the music, I like itiand it really worked with video, which i forgot to mention was pretty damn good. You have to keep in mind the "Blue Planet" type productions have huge budgets, all the time in the world, and multiple cameras going on every dive.
I think I was just feeling a bit camera insecure when I posted this because quite few people on the boat had professional level setups haha.

The song is Houses by a band called Great Northern.

If I may ask, what settings did you use on the TG5 for the video?

TIA

If I may ask, what settings did you use on the TG5 for the video?

TIA
I think I used mostly the same setting as described in this video from back scatter.
I will say though that I have a crackpot theory that the white balancing is better in underwater mode. I've tried setting custom white balance but it always looks way too red so I was sticking to aperture priority with the underwater white balance setting, but when I tried out underwater mode on a whim the colours looked way better to me, not sure why.

I had major problems with focus hunting that I never really resolved with any of the tracking settings and just had to edit around as best I could.

Looks like it was a great trip and I thought the video was done very well. What is the water temperature that time of year and what type of exposure protection did you use?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom