Niihau season starting for Kauai visitors!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AquamanKauai

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Aloha!

Every year I try to write a little post just offering help to anyone who happens to be lucky enough to be visiting Kauai in the late spring and summer months. Niihau is such a special place to be able to dive for those that have the skill level to do so. In my humble opinion it offers some of the very best diving in the Hawaiian islands. It is on the advanced side for sure as it is not only remote, but it "can" have strong currents and includes the options of drifts and wall dives. Your are all but assured to dive with Hawaiian Monk Seals - one of the most critically endangered marine mammals in the world! As if that isn't enough, you commonly encounter sandbar, gray, whitetip and oceanic blacktip reef sharks. Depending on the conditions you can also dive some of the largest and varied lava tubes in the state. Teaming with fish that are found nowhere else in the world it is a fantastic spot to dive. Niihau also typically has 100's of spinner dolphins between it's northern end and the isle of Lehua rock. It is a full day trip and allows for 3 tank dives. Nitrox is really a must for any diver (and a smart decision) who does extended dive times. Unlike Kauai, Niihau doesn't experience the runoff that Kauai sometimes is impacted by and vis' is generally pretty fantastic. This years early trips have also yielded sightings of Knifejaws, whiskered boarfish, and a Hawaiian morwong! Pretty cool stuff. Rays are also common at the island.

Anyway, it's a pretty amazing trip and for those of you visiting Kauai, I always try to offer my help and advise if you are considering this trip. There are 3 boats that will go there at least twice a week in the summer months and even a 4th when conditions allow.

Feel free to send a PM my way or just add to this posting should you like. I'm always happy to help plan visits. Any underwater questions - just fire away. I don't spend a lot of time above water.....but if you have a "land question" I will certainly do my best.

Cheers, and happy dive planning.
A

Great! I'm looking to plan a dive trip to Hawaii in early July, is that still Niihau season?

Summer months are in fact the regular season for Niihau trips. July would essentially be mid season. While we (Bubbles Below) will go year round when the weather/conditions permit, the other operator typically start the trips on or about the first week in May. As the northern swells go away that signals the opportunity to start regular trips. Trips will then run through August and even into Sept with regularity until the first of the winter season (north) swells return.

Feel free to contact me with any questions that you may have. I'd be more than happy to help out.

Have a wonderful Easter
A

Niihau season is April through some point in September with regularity. Three options for your crossings exist if you wish to do a dive focused trip (3 tank dive charters). During the winter months you may get lucky and catch a window of time (break in the northern swells) matching up with proper winds and get to cross with Bubbles Below. I would never encourage someone to plan a trip in the winter with the expectation to dive Niihau - but if you are here and an avid/experienced diver - it's worth looking into. While the Monk Seals are not as plentiful in the winter months, you replace their presence with the excitement of Humpback Whales that are often in considerable numbers around Niihua and Lehua. As always, feel free to reach out to me directly with PM's if you have specific questions. I was over to Niihau 2 weeks ago and we did have exceptional dives.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom