Deep 6 Triton's Abacus / divecomputer.eu Review

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nearly every dive computer sold today would do that, you can't do any better?

With Buhlmann algorithms? No. Like I said, that was one of my main criteria. I wanted a computer that would give me information, operate based on a known algorithm, and allow me to tweak the way it operates with gradient factors. To my knowledge, no computers other than Shearwater allow custom gradient factors.

He personally did not save much money over a Perdix.
I don't consider $250 to be a huge savings, but it was enough to make me curious about it. It seems to be the only non-shearwater computer that uses Buhlmann with gradient factors, and between that and the (admittedly small) savings I was willing to give it a shot for a first computer. It's definitely not a Perdix killer, but it works and fills in a spot between the cheap puck computers and the full on technical computers.

I don't consider $250 to be a huge savings, but it was enough to make me curious about it. It seems to be the only non-shearwater computer that uses Buhlmann with gradient factors, and between that and the (admittedly small) savings I was willing to give it a shot for a first computer. It's definitely not a Perdix killer, but it works and fills in a spot between the cheap puck computers and the full on technical computers.
Hi @VE7DAC

Actually, Divecomputer.eu/Deep 6, Dive Soft, Garmin, Heinrichs Weikamp (not available in US/Canada), Ratio/Seac, and Shearwater, all run Buhlmann with GF. Heinrichs Weikamp, Ratio/Seac, and Shearwater offer AI versions.

The Deep 6 computer does currently appear to be the least expensive Buhlmann computer in the US/Canada, though the entry level Dive Soft computer is just over $600. I bought a Dive Rite Nitek Q about 2 1/2 years ago to gain experience with Buhlmann and GF. It cost me only $400, a shame it is no longer available.

Best of luck with your Divecomputer.eu/Deep6 computer. We all look forward to follow up reports, especially with the number of complaints you have already mentioned.

The buttons also aren't particularly easy to press. They have an adjustable sensitivity, but even the lowest one still leaves them quite tough to activate, which I suppose prevents accidental presses, but I wish the adjustment could go a little farther.

Are you wearing gloves? Piezo type buttons are more difficult with gloves no matter how you cut it.

The screen is a backlit LCD rather than the OLED as found in Shearwater computers, which increases power consumption dramatically.

It is the processor that increases the power consumption as well. The Abacus uses an ARM processor, not a smaller embedded microcontroller processor as other computers do, so the increased processing capability comes at a power factor cost.

I'm using high capacity NiCad AA batteries, changes this frequent would be expensive if using a SAFT.

You can't use the 3.7v batteries, just the 1.5 and 1.2V, but yes overall the time would be less for the reasons above.

Unfortunately this feature has the fault of not being able to distinguish between a wet exposure suit (the neoprene outer layer of my drysuit), a wet hand (when picking it up), and the water. They all conduct, so they all trigger dive mode.

This is a fault of all wet contacts on all dive computers, this isn't specific to the Abacus. (The same thing happens on my rebreather, other computers, etc.)

Log uploading is done via Bluetooth to Subsurface or Subsurface-mobile, and is not documented in any of the materials I've found on divecomputer.eu.

I believe the documentation is in the subsurface application, as subsurface is not a divecomputer.eu product.

When importing logs to Subsurface, the very first temperature reading always comes in as 0 degrees celsius, but I honestly don't know if that's a problem with the data logging or with Subsurface's interpretation of the data.

I would need to look at the raw log to be sure, but you should report this to subsurface and they will certainly fix it.

The Abacus has a compass, but I have found it to be utterly unusable. It's possible there was a manufacturing fault with mine, or perhaps a bad magnetometer, but it just doesn't work. At all. At rest it erratically fluctuates up to 50 degrees, and when tilted it throws off the reading by at least as much. The direction of the needle does not seem to be correlated at all with its actual rotation, and calibration doesn't help with that.

Have you used other digital compasses? I find them to be more finicky than manual ones. That being said, you can't use them near metal objects, and tilting the device will throw it off, you have to use them level. My compass works fine in mine. When used properly, I find it comparable to the compass in my shearwater, although I do like the fully visible face in the Abacus better than my Shearwater.

There's also a bug with adding gases. I've had this happen a few times, it seems to be a stable bug. When adding a new gas, if gas switches are made immediately (before changing to a different screen), the Abacus will usually reboot and delete the most recently added gas.

I am unable to recreate this problem, any chance you could call me and walk me through it?

Hi @VE7DAC

Actually, Divecomputer.eu/Deep 6, Dive Soft, Garmin, Heinrichs Weikamp (not available in US/Canada), Ratio/Seac, and Shearwater, all run Buhlmann with GF. Heinrichs Weikamp, Ratio/Seac, and Shearwater offer AI versions.

The Deep 6 computer does currently appear to be the least expensive Buhlmann computer in the US/Canada, though the entry level Dive Soft computer is just over $600. I bought a Dive Rite Nitek Q about 2 1/2 years ago to gain experience with Buhlmann and GF. It cost me only $400, a shame it is no longer available.

Best of luck with your Divecomputer.eu/Deep6 computer. We all look forward to follow up reports, especially with the number of complaints you have already mentioned.
The Watoom Cyano is available from DGX for $300. It runs Buhlmann ZH-L16C with 3 presets, 35/75, 40/85, and 45/95, same presets as Shearwater Rec mode. I don't know anything about its reliability or service.

Hi @VE7DAC

Do you have follow up on your Triton's Abacus?

I see that Deep 6 is now selling rebranded Divesoft computers, not sure of the status of the Divecomputer.eu computer

Followup:

Since I wrote my initial review, I've purchased a Shearwater Perdix, so I can do a bit more of a side-by-side comparison. My girlfriend now dives the Abacus and I dive the Perdix, and this computer has about 70 dives on it.

My initial complaint about the buttons stands. They work, but it takes a pretty significant press to get them to activate. It can be a pain to navigate menus. It's a stark contrast with the easy presses on the Perdix, and really colours the overall impression of the device. I trust it and don't think it's any less safe, but the sharp corners and tough buttons don't give it any style points.

Dive logging and uploading actually works better on the Abacus than on the Perdix. Interfacing with bluetooth devices is quick and simple with the Abacus, but the Perdix has given me trouble on a number of occasions. The temperature logging is still in integer degrees, but seeing as the Perdix logs the same way, I can't really fault it. I'll have to get a separate setup if I want to do any research into the local thermoclines. I never did get a fix for the 0 degree initial reading.

My battery woes seem to mostly be the fault of the cold water here in BC, a charged NiCad drops its voltage significantly as it cools down. The Abacus still sucks down a lot more current due to the backlit display, which is made worse by the wet contacts keeping it on during surface intervals. But I use rechargeable batteries, and change them every weekend anyway. The battery port on the Abacus is wonderful, it's thick metal and easy to open with bare hands. I'm ok with the tradeoff of a well-made battery cover and slightly reduced battery life.

The compass still won't cooperate, tilting the computer always introduces significant shift to the compass needle, even after repeated calibration. I haven't had this issue with my Perdix, but I don't trust electronic compasses as a rule anyway, I prefer the analog one on my wrist.

I haven't been able to duplicate the gas adding bug since I initially reported it.

I stand by my initial assessment, despite it not being a Perdix killer, or particularly polished, it's a solid computer. The thick delrin is reassuringly tough, even after being chewed on by several inquisitive sea lions at Hornby Island. Reactions here to my initial review were overwhelmingly dismissive, but as a first offering from a previously unknown company (divecomputer.eu, I mean) it's not bad. Using the Buhlmann algorithm was my primary reason for buying it, and I'm not disappointed with it. I anticipate getting a good amount of use out of it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom