Reason to wear wetsuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Actually, I think you made me realize that is the real reason I go suitless whenever I can.

I'm spoiled the rest of my diving life after first trip to Cozumel. Started out in 7 mil suit on the California west coast. Progressed to 3 mil in Hawaii. Now, if I can't dive with just my swim trunks and rash guard I won't dive. Sad but true :)

I'm spoiled the rest of my diving life after first trip to Cozumel. Started out in 7 mil suit on the California west coast. Progressed to 3 mil in Hawaii. Now, if I can't dive with just my swim trunks and rash guard I won't dive. Sad but true :)

I have succumbed to a shorty in northern Costa Rica. But, anything more than that, I will puke due to claustrophobia before I hit the water.

Having taken a couple trips this year where the water was 84 at the surface, I finally did dives with no wetsuit using just a LONG sleeve rash guard and knee length board shorts.

As a minimalist already diving a bp/w, now being able to feel the water on my skin: Wow. That took diving to another level for me.

If you have never felt the tropical ocean on your skin as you dive, you are missing something.

Exactly what I wore in Palau. Loved the freedom. It was like riding a motorcycle vs. being in a car.

Having taken a couple trips this year where the water was 84 at the surface, I finally did dives with no wetsuit using just a LONG sleeve rash guard and knee length board shorts.

As a minimalist already diving a bp/w, now being able to feel the water on my skin: Wow. That took diving to another level for me.

If you have never felt the tropical ocean on your skin as you dive, you are missing something.

All have my dives have been wetsuit-less... I'm gearing up for some cold Northeast dives for this coming Summer. I hope I can make the transition from shorts and rash guard with blue, warm, salty water, to cold fresh water, that's dark and green... That thick wetsuit may be unbearable. :(:(:(

Getting chilled on a dive ruins it for me. I find it impossible to pay attention to what I am seeing when all I can think about is how long it will be until it's over. I'll err to the side of caution; I can let water in to cool off if I get too warm (almost never happens) but if I get too cold there's nothing I can do about it until I get out of the water. In Cozumel I wear a thick Lycra skin with a shorty over it.

The perfect undergarment is a Lavacore (used to be called Polartec). Fleece lined it gives 2.5 mil equivalency while going on and off like a skin. In the colder months in Cozumel I use that with a 3 mil shorty (easy on, easy off) on top. when 84-86 F I go with swim trunks. 80-84 I use just the Lavacore. We don't sell them, but they and the Shadow mask are the only two dive products I enthusiastically support.

Dave Dillehay

Agree 100% with Dave about the LavaCore. I use a full one piece LC suit with the zipper in front, my old body just isn't limber enough to fight the back zipper on most suites. I've used a shorty or vest occasionally when the water temp dips to mid 70's.

My wife likes the two piece LC. She gets cold easier than I so will use a battery heated undersuit -http://www.thermalution.com/Product_water_dive.html in cooler water. She loves it - it's like a t-shirt with a built in heater. They are a bit spendy though.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom