Bad attitudes about solo diving are still prevalent

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There's bad attitude about many activities. If that is going to stop a person from such activities, this person didn't want to do that activity enough, may even use the bad attitudes as a reason to not do it.

I came to SE Florida in the 80's, most of the charters (if not all) didn't care for me to dive solo, so I dove with insta-buddies once or twice a month, but in between I'd go by myself on a sit-on-top kayak and dove to my heart desire without interruptions. Few times strangers would try to engage in criticism at the beginning or end of my dive. I'd either respectfully ignore them or aggressively tell them off, depending entirely on their attitude.

I got older and lazier, now I find diving of a kayak from shore is way too much effort. I decided to set my financial priorities and have a small boat so that I can continue diving on my own terms. Fortunately there is no water police to check gear configuration or dive depths, the day that happens will be the day I move out of Florida.

To a point, I resent people talking about someone being stopped from diving a quarry/spring/shore because of lack of solo card or a particular type of gear configuration. I resent it even more when someone actually feels superior to the individual for such desire to dive solo with whatever gear they want to. My resentment is only to a point, because I would be stopped only once, next time I'd go to another location, or another, or another until I can dive the way I LIKE to dive.

Just like I hear they don't let me go solo, I also hear divers say I wish I could be close to an ocean and dive more often. But years and even decades go by with this people still not closer to the ocean. I suppose it is like me when I say I wish I could be a millionaire... I don't truly truly mean it, because I'm not willing to make the sacrifices needed to become a millionaire, I don't even buy lottery tickets in a consistent manner.

Bad attitudes come from many sources, of course from non-divers and buddy-divers, but the worse is when it comes from the arrogant solo-divers that feel only their way is the right way to solo.

Ignore the bad attitudes and dive the way you want to dive.

I don't see any reason to market or encourage solo diving.
I'm fine that diving alone means possibly dying alone.
Folks need to take the increased risk into consideration and make sure their loved ones know what they're doing and why they're doing it...and if they have a problem with it, listen.

I dive solo because I don't want to have an elevated risk of dying. Too many times when diving with "buddies" I was exposed to danger that would not have been present had I been diving solo. I find that there is an elevated risk of diving with others - at least twice the failure points. I'll take care of myself thank you. Redundancy beats "buddy" many times over.

My resentment is only to a point, because I would be stopped only once, next time I'd go to another location, or another, or another until I can dive the way I LIKE to dive.

You are fortunate. Many of us live in areas of the country where the opportunities to dive are more limited.

I see solo diving as calling myself out as to how comfortable I am with my skills and gear for the intended dive. There is nobody there to oversee or rescue. Solo diving in the dead of night or at high noon is no different to me. I'll never forget second guessing myself while walking down a boat ramp toward inky black water in the dead of night. I stayed shallow so that I could stand up and breathe if a problem developed. That got boring as I became cool with it over time. Nobody was watching, nobody cared what I did. Maybe that is the part that I like best.

Redundancy and conservatism rule the dive. Solo is just that, others who don't know me and make 'helpful' comments are totally off-topic. I start by assuming that they mean well and just nod and smile.

Being born is 100% fatal but I have no intention of my diving ever speeding up that process. Solo diving keeps that concept real.

SB is amazing. Learning something new every single day. Today I learnt that I've done 40 or so illegal dives! Not solo, but without guides. Are you sure about this? I've never been told about this law. Our LDS even encourage us to dive ourselves, especially when they are busy with tourists.
I know there are a lot of areas that are forbidden (even for guided dives) because of ancient wrecks, ruins etc, but that's another story.
Actually we've been checked by coast guards a couple of times, but they were looking only for fishing tools (fishing with scuba is strictly forbidden - although it happens).
Well now that I know I'll have to search more about it. I hope you are wrong.
Regards
When I went for a dive in September with permission of the Greek coast guard, there was a lot of paperwork.

I wish Greece had their laws online. I've spoken to a lawyer in Greece on other matters related to diving, and cannot bother them for something as trivial as this.

I still get surprised.

Posted about a (solo) shore dive in a local facebook group and the discussion quickly shifted to how I was going to die because I'm a solo diver.

And I avoid a local dive club whose newsletter every month has the tag line, "Dive safe, dive with a buddy."

I'm willing to educate people who want to be educated but most won't listen. It's frustrating.
At the risk of appearing to try to focus on the actual premise of the thread: I am not altogether surprised that such attitudes exist. I think they reflect ignorance for the most part.

In many endeavors, recreational and professional, there is a constant background buzz, of 'You're gonna die.' The world is full of nay-sayers. Diving certainly has its fair share of those. The irony - the statement 'You're gonna die' is true to the best of our understanding. Unfortunately, it is regularly used out of context. I know I'm gonna die. I have serious doubts that my death will have anything to do with my self-reliant diving. :).

Yes, I suspect we would find agreement here that divers who choose to dive by themselves should do so after considering the risk profile - not being put off by it, rather taking risk management as one element of their dive planning. However, if a diver is properly trained, properly equipped, has engaged in proper planning, I am unaware of data that documents a risk profile that is necessarily greater than buddy diving. This discussion is not about the risks, but about the attitudes of others who categorically consider solo diving to be dangerous, without thoughtful consideration, or actual evidence to support their claim.

How to effectively inform, persuade, and change the opinions of others who are promiscuously ignorant is a challenge. I am curious about your decision to avoid your local dive club. Have you been able to discuss with 'them' (whoever 'them' might be), the club's tag line, and the reasoning behind it? 'Dive safe' would seem to be a more appropriate tag line.

Personally, I enjoy the company of a dive partner. I have done solo dives merely out of necessity (when I know there are 6 lobsters I can pick up 100' from the shoreline and my buddy didn't show). Just not my thing, I like enjoying the encounters with someone else. I do a lot of free diving solo and it gets bland for me pretty quickly. I am always willing to dive with new divers (as long as you dont continuously kick me in the face) LOL and I do enjoy helping inexperienced divers continue to hone techniques to the best of my ability (im not an instructor)... I don't have anything against solo divers, many people find peace in that solitude, I for one do not. Dive and let dive! Any new divers want to join me in any dives in south florida / pompano / fort lauderdale Im usually game as long as this dumb thing called a job doesnt get in the way HAHA...

I am in the medical field. Have been for over 25 years. My family and friends are aware of this. You would not thinks so by listening to a majority of their conversations with me, however. Newest medication, newest ailment, basic or complex body physiology... they have all tried at some point try to "educate" me on these topics. I listen and smile, but seldom do I attempt to correct and even less often try to "educate" them (assuming the situation is NOT potentially harmful of course). No point really, they aren't going to change their minds or their ways.
Same thing with people that don't understand diving but have (negative) opinions on solo diving.

"Just smile and wave, boys... Smile and wave"
smiling-and-waving-3-penguins-of-madagascar-21331572-1157-689.png

It's a little different when I get "told" I can't solo dive on a dive boat or a LDS dive trip. That kinda tics me off. I can and do understand it from a liability basis. Since there IS a solo certification, I expect it to be required to be allowed to dive outside of the industry accepted norm of buddy diving when diving with a shop or on a dive boat. But I DO have a solo cert card. Had a LDS trip to the Keys in September. Told them I was solo certified ahead of time. Showed my card. Once we were in the Keys and loading the boat, I mentioned, again, that I planned to dive solo. Got asked if I had the c card. Asked to see the card. Got asked if I had all the recommended redundant equipment. Assured them I did. They said they'd have to call the shop to make sure it was OK. o_O They returned and begrudgingly said it was OK... IF I stayed "shallow". "Shallow?" I said... "care to nail that down?" They advised me I could dive solo as long as I stayed above 60ft... Alrightee, whatever you say boss... *SPLASH* No one checked my computer afterwards, but I suspect they were watching...

Attachments

• upload_2018-11-20_17-9-19.png
    upload_2018-11-20_17-9-19.png
    431.8 KB · Views: 53
They advised me I could dive solo as long as I stayed above 60ft... Alrightee, whatever you say boss... *SPLASH* No one checked my computer afterwards, but I suspect they were watching...

"Oh, you meant feet? I thought you meant meters."

Solo diving can have hidden risks leading to fatality. I teach the PADI self-reliant (read: solo) diving course, but I rarely do it myself, because my wife would kill me if she knew.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom