Land Based Diving Options Raja Ampat?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BKtraveler

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I just booked an 11 day liveaboard for early December that returns back to Sorong on December 13th. I could possibly have 4 days for some land based diving as I don't need to fly out until the 17th. It's my understanding that there is not much diving from Sorong itself but can anyone recommend a convenient place to base myself for 2 to 3 days to experience some more great diving? I'm slightly partial to bigger creatures but I do love it all.

Thanks in Advance,
BK

Any of the ones in the Dampier Strait area would be fine, all are fairly close to the dive sites and mostly dive the same sites. Dampier is the closest diving area to Sorong, most will pick you up in Sorong but you may have to take the ferry to Waisai depending on pickup times etc as some don't do pickups in Sorong every day

As Mike mentioned - Dampier will be the closest. Getting to Waisai might also be an option, but you are looking at a 2 hour Ferry of approx. US$15.

But from Waisai you will be able to visit quite a few dive sites like Manta Sandy and Friwin Wall.

You can check out Meridian Adventure Dive as a land based option in Waisai - it's well situated and visits over 288 dive sites with eco-conscious dive boats (and it doesn't take you hours to get to all the good spots) - time well spent.

Good luck with your search :)

Any of the ones in the Dampier Strait area would be fine, all are fairly close to the dive sites and mostly dive the same sites. Dampier is the closest diving area to Sorong, most will pick you up in Sorong but you may have to take the ferry to Waisai depending on pickup times etc as some don't do pickups in Sorong every day
Thanks Mike. Considering I have only 4 nights, do you think it wise to base myself in Wasai or would an island like Kri be more convenient?

You can gain time by asking your liveavoard to drop you at your chosen resort.
We arrived (twice) at Papua Explorers like this - felt very cool!

I stayed and dived with yenkoranu homestay on kri. Amazing diving and comfortable budget accommodation. You can book homestays through stayrajaampat.com

I stayed and dived with yenkoranu homestay on kri. Amazing diving and comfortable budget accommodation. You can book homestays through stayrajaampat.com

I'm also looking at doing some land-based diving in Raja. Not sure about the homestays though.
How's their rental equipment? Guides ok? Overall organization? 2 or 3 dives per day?

I'm also looking at doing some land-based diving in Raja. Not sure about the homestays though.
How's their rental equipment? Guides ok? Overall organization? 2 or 3 dives per day?

Yankoranu homestay was very organised. Excellent guides. I had my own equipment but the others using rental equipment said it was fine and well maintained. They have a big diver operation with two boats going out to different sites depending on diver levels. Two dives in the morning and one after lunch and they organise night dives on request. The homestay is also one of the 'better' ones with big solid rooms and raised beds. I'd definitely go back to them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom