Regulator System for Beginner Dive in Southern California

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

miradorc

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hello all!

I am a beginner diver in Southern California, I was certified with my open water through PADI last November. I've been diving about 10 times since then, the low amount is because I have been slowly acquiring my gear and spacing out my purchases. I've finally got everything I need except a regulator system and tank, so I'm down to about 37$ each time I'd like to dive. Now I am starting to research regulators, but I am a bit overwhelmed!

Once I have my gear set up, I plan on diving at least 2-3 times a month with shore dives. I'm 15 min from the ocean, so it's really been gear rental costs that have held me back. I also plan on travelling to warmer water areas (Hawaii, Caribbean, Taiwan, etc) but I am ok with renting over there if a system I get for SoCal won't work well over there. I also plan on taking the Advance open water for deeper water eventually, but not within the next year.

I was wondering if someone can point me to some regulator systems that I can look further into. I need the first stage, second stage, octopus, and computer/spg.

There is a used set being sold by a shop, would it be ideal for me? It includes:
Sherwood Brut Regulator, Sherwood Octo, and Sherwood Profile Console Computer all for 400$.

Is there anything specific I should be avoiding when I shop around? Or something specific I should absolutely look for?

I'm willing to buy new too, I just would like some pointers into systems that would be good for me. There are a lot of choices out there! My budget.... ideally, stay under $500. I see a lot of cheap sets online but I don't know if I should trust them. But even if it is way over my budget, I'm willing to save and buy something that is quality that will keep me safe and last me a while as I progress in my diving skills.

Thank you for any advice!

Well...…

Why buy used when you can buy new?

While this may sound like an advertisement for my shop, and it is, I would strongly encourage taking advantage of our BLACK FRIDAY SALE!

Shameless advertisement over.....but accurate. :)

I'm a fan of of Sherwood, and the price isn't bad depending on how old it is and how new it looks. Also, if you like your dive shop it's a good way to bond. See if they can give you a Black Friday special and lower the price a little more.

Bob

I’ll suggest your first question to answer is whether or not you anticipate ever using your regulator in water under 50 degrees. If so, you want to be sure your set is rated for such.

If that used set is the most current generation Brut, it passes the EU CE standards for use under 50, Sherwood has just been slow to communicate that in the US.

I can’t say one way or the other on previous generation Bruts.

A fantastic all around reg for cold, warm and bang for the buck are the deep6 regs. If your local shop doesn’t service them send them back to deep6 for service or do it yourself.

$400 for a used Sherwood brut, that you will still need to get serviced? That’s just crazy!
Including Octo AND computer console? Sounds pretty good to me, depending on age.

Hard to justify $400 + $150ish for servicing everything for a used set up when you could spend $300 for the deep 6 set up with an octo and another $250 or so for a simple wrist computer and spg.

Hard to justify $400 + $150ish for servicing everything for a used set up when you could spend $300 for the deep 6 set up with an octo and another $250 or so for a simple wrist computer and spg.
@miradorc
The assumption by @saxman242 that you would need to service the Brut brings up a good point. Since the seller is a shop, I would hope they would include a fresh service in that price. If not, perhaps a point to negotiate.

And again depends on how old it is. I think the Brut name is over 20 years old.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom