DEMA next week

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Here are the slides from the Suunto presentation. I have no more info than what is here, so don't ask me; and frankly some of it confuses me a little so perhaps I'll learn something once you all start discussing.

The headline is that Fused RGBM 2 behaves exactly the same as Fused RGBM for dives to 100 ft or LESS. Difference come into play on deeper profiles.
I just uploaded a copy of the Suunto algorithm presentation to that other thread. In an attempt to limit conversation to just one thread, I'll forgo duplicating it here.
https://www.scubaboard.com/community/threads/suunto-algorithm-news.570335

They think it is an easy upsell from an analog gauge set. I would agree, if I often sold analog. I think it is a potential down sell from a computer console.
@JackD342

Jack, I’m a relatively inexperienced diver, so would you please explain your apparent dislike of the discussed DIGI 2. The DIGI 2 appears to be similar in functionality to the Aqualung i500, where both replace conventional gauges with a digital console that reports remaining dive time.

The DIGI 2 functionality and reported cost looks compelling for the beginning diver and as a redundant computer for a more advanced recreational diver. Is there some aspect of the DIGI 2 or equilavent that I’m not considering?

Other opinions welcomed too!

It is not a dive computer. The most basic function of a dive computer is to take the place of your dive tables, eliminating the need for manual calculations of No Decompression Limits. (NDL)
A computer is also calculating your NDL in real time across the varying depth of your actual dive profile, rather than the square (or multilevel) profile of a table. In practice, this means a computer with an algorithm based on the same logic as a table, (PADI RDP and DSAT computers, for instance) will give you a longer bottom time. This is especially important on multiple dives done on multiple days, and even more so if the dives approach the table NDLs.

The Cressi will provide you info on an estimated AIR time remaining, but NOT a BOTTOM time remaining. If you are content with using tables, it will be a very useful supplemental tool providing your maximum depth and your elapsed dive time for your calculations, for a price that is competitive with analog gauges.

@JackD342

Jack, I’m a relatively inexperienced diver, so would you please explain your apparent dislike of the discussed DIGI 2. The DIGI 2 appears to be similar in functionality to the Aqualung i500, where both replace conventional gauges with a digital console that reports remaining dive time.

The DIGI 2 functionality and reported cost looks compelling for the beginning diver and as a redundant computer for a more advanced recreational diver. Is there some aspect of the DIGI 2 or equilavent that I’m not considering?

Addendum: The i550 is an air integrated computer. It is calculating your bottom time remaining, and your air time remaining, and if you are diving Nitrox then also your O2 time remaining. Whichever is the lesser value is presented to you as your dive time remaining. Better yet, if I set an ascent alarm for 800psi, it is telling me how long I have to THAT point, not to an empty tank. Not every console computer is air integrated, the Aqualung i300 for instance.

@JackD342

By the way, I didn’t really mean to make it seem I dislike it. I did want to be sure it is not mistaken for an actual computer. It is an odd and unique beast unlike anything else in common use today, and I can’t help but wonder if there is actually a market for it. Time will tell.

Jack.... points understood and thanks for the same. Much appreciated! One could only hope the delivered capabilities will ultimately be upgraded from the DIGI 2 promotional info. Did you by chance see this console at DEMA?

Jack.... points understood and thanks for the same. Much appreciated! One could only hope the delivered capabilities will ultimately be upgraded from the DIGI 2 promotional info. Did you by chance see this console at DEMA?
I saw it, but didn’t spend much time on it. Not sure what you mean by upgraded. It is a finished product available for me to order today, not a work in progress. At whatever point in the future they come out with an air integrated computer on this platform, I would expect it to be new a product, not an upgrade option. At first glance it looked a little delicate, but I didn’t pick it up to handle it and see if it felt more rugged than it looked.

Back
Top Bottom