Diving in West/Central Luzon? Subic? Anilao?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

paperdesk

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Does anyone know of dive resorts on the West/Northwest coast of Luzon? Specifically, I'm looking for something in the San Fernando area or South of that. I'll be traveling with several adult divers, as well as a group of older teens and some of them would like to take a discover SCUBA course. It's a big group, 26 persons.

We're looking for budget lodging options that have nice diving/snorkeling nearby. I've never been to the West coast of Luzon, so I don't have any good idea or whether it's a good place for these activities.

Is Subic bay good for beginners? I have the idea it's mostly wreck dives.

We will go all the way down to Anilao if we have to, but it will take us the better part of one day to get there, and would prefer something in the area we will be staying. However, if we do end up going South we are considering Bonito Island Dive Resort and Buceo Anilao. Any other places we should consider? We prefer a quiet place with good snorkeling and shore diving options if possible.

Any tips would be fantastic. Thanks!

Ted

I just found a place called Ocean Deep Dive School in San Fernando. Anyone familiar with this place?

Subic is pretty much exclusively wreck diving. Visibility is usually pretty poor and I wouldn't recommend for beginners.

Anilao is great for macro diving and there is a ton of great sites and it really isn't very technical. Depending on where you are leaving from and when you can get down there in 3 hours from Manila on a good day. You are pretty much stuck in your resort if you go here though - there isn't a lot to do after dark.

You might also check out Puerto Galera on north Mindoro just a little south of Anilao. You can get over there by ferry and there are some great sites over there too. Here there is a bunch of bars and restaurants as well for after hours fun, but be careful as some of the venues are pretty adult. It will depend on the sensitivities of your group.

Reactions: Gi0
Subic is pretty much exclusively wreck diving. Visibility is usually pretty poor and I wouldn't recommend for beginners.

Anilao is great for macro diving and there is a ton of great sites and it really isn't very technical. Depending on where you are leaving from and when you can get down there in 3 hours from Manila on a good day. You are pretty much stuck in your resort if you go here though - there isn't a lot to do after dark.

You might also check out Puerto Galera on north Mindoro just a little south of Anilao. You can get over there by ferry and there are some great sites over there too. Here there is a bunch of bars and restaurants as well for after hours fun, but be careful as some of the venues are pretty adult. It will depend on the sensitivities of your group.
Thank you!

Ocean Deep is the only option and Tim has been around many many yrs.
The main problems of diving around San Fernando are;
1. Very ordinary unless you want to see some vintage WWII M10 tanks around 40m+.
2. Long long drive from Manila.

We'll already be in the area, so that is the only reason we are looking at diving there instead of Anilao area. My diving experience in the Philippines has been mostly in Palawan so that is the context I'm working from, but people have told me I will need to adjust my expectations :)

Thank you, we discovered that shop as well, however Ocean Deep will be right next to where we will be staying, so it looks like a better option.
As far as I can remember, the area is very quiet any time of the day. And you really need transport to get around especially in the evening.

Back
Top Bottom