Hogarthian Adjustable Shoulder Strap Solution

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I personally don't like any of the cinch systems that rely on tightening the waist belt to tighten the shoulders. If I do the waist belt up tight enough to stop the plate moving it makes the shoulders too tight.

I think adjusters on the shoulders are a better solution. Tecline makes some adjusters that you weave in with some triglides.

I've bought them from here (Australia):
D-Rings for making an Adjustable Harness

But looks like you can get them here:
TecLine D-Ring For Adjusting The Comfort Harness

Or find your local tecline dealer.

T01150_d_ring_adjustable_harness_m.jpg

T01150_d_ring_adjustable_harness_A_ddg.jpg

T01150_d_ring_adjustable_harness_B_labeled_ddg.jpg

Then there is @Akimbo idea for PVC tube additions to sliders to let webbing adjust more easily. I made a bunch of these but they are a bear to install FYI search Scubaboard for akimbo rollers.

You can get the roller to work with a standard plate on doubles but you have to come up with a way to stand the bottom of the plate off the cylinders to prevent pinching. The standoff is build into the Subgravity slider:

upload_2018-11-19_15-50-1.png

Here is an image of the PVC pipe roller installed on a Freedom Plate:

upload_2018-11-19_15-51-51.png

to the op the problem should be self handled so long as you can easily cinch with the waist strap. if you have a clip on it to keep the shoulder straps constant remove it on one or both sides of the plate and let the straps loose put it on and cinch with with waist strap. I have a DFSS plate and the way it is made thereare rubber pieces on the bottom off the late hindering the movement of the shoulder straps. get rid of them so you can easily loosen the straps climb in and after a couloe of hops and a tug on the waist strap the shoulders tighten to just the right place. watch the video...

I personally don't like any of the cinch systems that rely on tightening the waist belt to tighten the shoulders. If I do the waist belt up tight enough to stop the plate moving it makes the shoulders too tight.

I think adjusters on the shoulders are a better solution. Tecline makes some adjusters that you weave in with some triglides.

I've bought them from here (Australia):
D-Rings for making an Adjustable Harness

But looks like you can get them here:
TecLine D-Ring For Adjusting The Comfort Harness

Or find your local tecline dealer.

View attachment 489894
View attachment 489895

View attachment 489896

Thank you for all of the great suggestions!
The TecLine D-ring is right along the lines of what I was hoping for.
The Halcyon cinch looks interesting, but I'd like to steer her away from the non metal, proprietary parts for now. Who knows though...it (or one of the roller/slide types) may be next up to bat if the TecLine D-rings don't pan out.

For those of you that use the cinch at the waist style, does a softer webbing help? Something more like seat belt material?

The Halcyon cinch looks interesting, but I'd like to steer her away from the non metal, proprietary parts for now. Who knows though...it (or one of the roller/slide types) may be next up to bat if the TecLine D-rings don't pan out.

For those of you that use the cinch at the waist style, does a softer webbing help? Something more like seat belt material?

The Halcyon webbing does tend to be a little softer than most but its not as thin as seat belt webbing. I do think it helps.

I have three freedom plates for my family, and I was able to compare different webbing for each. Heavy webbing is a drag to thread, but it stands up better to get your arms in. Softer nylon webbing is ok to thread, and ok to get out of, even wet. But slithery seatbelt polypropylene will thread very easily, and is so floppy it makes it harder to don/doff the bp/w. If you have time, might be worth it to buy more than one type of webbing and see what works best for you.
I just put all my gear in storage until next spring, or I’d send you photos of different webbings threaded.
I do warn people, buy colored webbing if you want, but always make the crotch strap the same color as your wetsuit so you don’t look like your wearing a thong from the backside.

seat belt material is crotch strap. less flexible the shoulder straps if possible. and the waist the stiffist. if you have a single belt rig make it medium stiff and a soft crotch strap. If teh waist is too soft. things do nt always stay in place like lantern batterys.

seat belt material is crotch strap. less flexible the shoulder straps if possible. and the waist the stiffist. if you have a single belt rig make it medium stiff and a soft crotch strap. If teh waist is too soft. things do nt always stay in place like lantern batterys.
Too soft seatbelt webbing used as a crotch strap will fold up when wet, giving me a wedgie, depending on what I wear it with. I did buy thinner width, but medium weight webbing. ( in black!) for this, to go with my stylish red harness. Depending on the the contours of your caboose, you may not have this problem.

This may sound harsh but why don't you let her figure out what she want's? You said the DIR setup works for you great but may not be what she wants and then you also said you wanted to steer her away from certain things. You've been given some good options show them to her and let her figure it out in the end she needs to be comfortable with it not you.

This may sound harsh but why don't you let her figure out what she want's? You said the DIR setup works for you great but may not be what she wants and then you also said you wanted to steer her away from certain things. You've been given some good options show them to her and let her figure it out in the end she needs to be comfortable with it not you.

Hollis and Dive Rite make harnesses with quick releases on each shoulder that can be used with a BP. Perhaps that might be something for your wife to look into.

Back
Top Bottom