Improving GX7 II video by setting white balance?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

carlkcarlk

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Does anyone use the GX7 II's predefined "underwater" white balance mode to improve video? Does it work OK? It seems much easier that they 10-steps needed to set a custom white balance underwater.

Background:

I've been unhappy with the GX7 II's video and just realized I should be setting white balance.
(For still pictures, I don't need to set white balance because it record everything in RAW.) I saw you can set a custom white balance underwater, but it takes many, many steps. Then I noticed the camera itself has a Underwater setting for WB.

Thanks,
Carl

I shoot Canon but not the G7x. That said, you should be able to a still of something neutral at the depth you intend to shoot or video and do a custom white balance to it. Obviously, if you are adding light then that WB is out the window.

I take the lazy approach and switch to the UNDERWATER white balance choice in JPEG shooting.

In any of he Canon G7X II white balance choices you can add more AMBER or BLUE as soon as you select a white balance by turning the FRONT CONTROL ring (I think, or maybe it's the REAR control ring.)

I've done this as I go deeper than 10-15' but it does have limited additional AMBER (RED) color shifting. I mainly do it because it's easier as you mention than the multi-step white balance procedure.

The original G7X point and hit the RING function button protocol and I do miss it but the additional speed and a few other Mark II features has made me satisfied.

Hope this helps!

David Haas

IMG_8763.jpg

I use RAW stills and the free Canon software does a great job of balancing/restoring the colours if necessary.
For video, manual white balance is essential to get the best out of the camera. You'll continue to be dissappointed with the results otherwise. The underwater setting is only really effective at shallow (snorkelling) depths.
Manual white balance really isn't that onerous. Just take a pic of something white, or near enough white; I often use the palm of my hand which works well. Or you can choose a buddy's tank, or sand. I've just bought some white fins so will be using them next trip! There are a few steps to dial in the WB but it's very quick once you've practiced and saved it to muscle memory. I practice on land first to get the sequence in my head.
Obviously I have a different setting in Manual mode if I'm using a light for macro.
It's a great little camera and I've had a few compliments on the quality of the pics and video, or maybe that's just down to the photographer :D
Honestly, it'd be a shame not to make the most of the camera by not doing the manual WB!

Btw, I think it’s only 5 button presses once you’ve taken the photo. Just set everything up in the settings first to make the process as efficient as possible.
There are good guides available on line that help with the settings, eg Canon G7 X II Best Settings, amongst others.
Cheers,
Rob

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom