Hello from the Philippines!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Chip Fong

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Brand new diver that decided to try scuba on a whim. Ended up doing a DSD at a PADI shop and then became scuba certified at a SSI shop and did 4 ocean dives with them. Going to Hawaii next to finish up my Open Water with an SSI shop in Waikiki. I think I've got the scuba bug dammit. Just great, another hobby to buy gear for. First up is a mask, wetsuit and possibly dive comp. So excited to have joined this world.

Welcome to diving & Scubaboard!

Always a better idea to wait on more extensive dive equipment until to know what you like. Plus, many dive shops have rental policies which allow you to rent & apply a percentage of the rental fees to equipment purchase. I did this & because I rented all my equipment from my local dive shop (even when traveling internationally), I knew the equipment was well taken care of & built up a great relationship with the dive shop. So I'd suggest buying a mask & fins (& maybe a wet suit although the thickness of the wet suit may change depending upon where you're diving), & not anything else for a bit.

Welcome to SCUBA diving and ScubaBoard. Definitely agree with NYCNaiad. It took me a few decades before manufacturers finally produced gear I really liked! Fortunately, your mileage will be much less. Try different gear, see what works best for you.

Welcome to ScubaBoard Chip Fong. A great place to be during surface intervals.

Welcome Chip!

I'm a little confused on your location, you say Hello from the Philippines, but listed as California. Are you living here in PH?

I'm in the southern Metro Manila area and frequently dive Anilao and Puerto Galera. Maybe we can catch up sometime!

Welcome, and cheers!
:cheers:

Welcome Chip!

I'm a little confused on your location, you say Hello from the Philippines, but listed as California. Are you living here in PH?

I'm in the southern Metro Manila area and frequently dive Anilao and Puerto Galera. Maybe we can catch up sometime!

Welcome, and cheers!
:cheers:
Yup just learned to dive in PI and flew back home for a short time before heading back to continue the diving adventure. I've heard Puerto Galera is awesome. Hoping to join you sometime soon!

Thanks all for the advice. Hoping to get some good Black Friday deals for a computer and wetsuit.

The dive shop loaned me a 5mm shorty and it seemed fine. Is there such a thing as too thick for a wetsuit? Would a 5mm full suit be too much for anywhere? I was thinking of sticking to mostly warm water for now.

Thanks all for the advice. Hoping to get some good Black Friday deals for a computer and wetsuit.

The dive shop loaned me a 5mm shorty and it seemed fine. Is there such a thing as too thick for a wetsuit? Would a 5mm full suit be too much for anywhere? I was thinking of sticking to mostly warm water for now.

You should "watch" (i.e., follow using the watch button) the growing thread I created re: Black Friday Deals.

A 5mm shorty seems weird to me. A full in any thickness is better protection & if you need a 5mm, it seems like you'd need a full, not a shorty. I use my 5mm quite a bit, but I get cold easily. Usually when I travel, I take 2 dive skins (which helps for sun & sting protection, to get the wet suits on/off and/or if I'm in really warm water. 2 so I can switch between them in the AM & PM), a 3mm, a 5mm, & a vest. Layering works really well. If you do lots of repetitive dives, you'll also find you get colder over time (e.g., a liveaboard with 3-5 dives a day).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom