Regulator configuration

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pablo Honey

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Getting my first gear and working on the regulator configuration.

I was thinking of going with something similar to This configuration, but with the 2 regs reversed - I don't understand why they're using the long-hose regulator as the primary, since it would require the buddy who needs help to take the reg out of the other person's mouth, or have it donated. They can't just grab a clipped octo.

Wouldn't it be better for the diver to use the short-hose reg on the necklace as the primary and have the octo clipped in front as usual?

I was thinking of using a 22" hose to my primary on a necklace and a 40" octo under the arm and clipped in front.

Pretty new diver here (20 under my belt), so input on this or other configuration suggestions much appreciated!
I may get into tech diving, but for the foreseeable future, looking at single-tank recreational open water dives.
Thanks in advance!

The concept is to donate the working reg, the backup is immediately available and works, if you remember to check its operation at the start of the dive.

Bob

Primary donate is a very common configuration for cave and wreck diving. It seems to be gaining popularity in recreational circles as well.

The logic assumes that a panicking diver is likely to grab the reg in your mouth, so this discipline is set up for that.

The very best "Octo" holder is your mouth.
If it falls out, well, you're gonna pick up on it before it gets dragged through or hung up in/on anything.
Also if your trim is good, the "magic triangle" (or whatever they call it) is not really visable to someone at eye level.
My primary is on a 7 foot hose and bright yellow for sharing. This is made clear to all before splashing.
I feel it's a more fool proof configuration.
Secondary reg on a necklace that can be breakaway if an entanglement is a possibility.

Cheers, Kevin

The other part of the logic behind primary donate is that the OOG diver is being given a regulator known to be working, because you've just been breathing off it. (As your diving career progresses, you're going to see a lot of octos dangling beneath their owners.) In technical dives where multiple gases are carried, it assures that he's getting a regulator supplying the appropriate gas. I prefer a 5' hose on the primary for rec dives just because I don't have to bother tucking it into my belt or behind a light canister, but a 7' hose is fine too.

To expand further why you wouldn't want to do it that way, the typical recreational setup taught by many instructors has the octo clipped off somewhere. The problem is in order to have it easily deployable you also have to use something less secure, like a rubber band to hold it, therefore it's not uncommon for them to fail and now your fumbling trying to find an octo for an impatient OOG diver.

My advice to a new diver is don't try and reinvent the wheel. The 'streamlined recreational setup' is in my mind, just about perfect for most rec divers.

I have the (black) primary on 7' long hose and the (yellow) octo on a rubber necklace where it can be either used as is without removing it first or taken off and then used.

I would actually like having the octo on bungee necklace (shorter so would be more streamlined and could be switched to without hands) but I am diving with all types of buddies and I am not sure all of them would remember in a panic that I would give them the primary and not the octo. It could be dangerous if they would just swim to me and grab the bungeed octo because they are fixated in that yellow color means spare regulator and the bungee octo of course would not break off so they would be trying to pull my neck off in the process and would still not get air o_O

will probably change to the bungee at some point later. I don't really care about the fine tune knob on regulators so could easily use the octo as a primary or just have them both black

My advice to a new diver is don't try and reinvent the wheel. The 'streamlined recreational setup' is in my mind, just about perfect for most rec divers.

Although I am a believer in innovation, and trying to reinvent the wheel to ones own purposes, I agree with CuzzA. One should be proficient in the use of the "standard" recreational configuration ones peers are using before branching out. Regardless of your configuration, you need to be able to use your buddies configuration, and train him on yours when you dive, confusion can lead to a bad outcome in an emergency.

The first step to true innovation is understanding other configurations and why they became a standard. Changes were made from the time we dove without an alternate second to the configurations that are used now by different types of divers for specific reasons.

Take your time and good luck.

Bob

Donation from the mouth has several benefits, including not least facilitating consistency in the event of a panicking diver snatching the reg.
It’s also the only way to donate by touch only (the “triple-tap), which is necessary for cave- and wreck diving.

It’s a consistant, logical and effective way to handle arguably the most important protocol, gas sharing - heck, I really see zero valid reasons why the old way is still being taught, from a dive perspective.

This is the setup I use for all dives. Both Tech and rec.

I like shorter hoses than the video for both alternate 2nd and the SPG. Make sure the spg has a breakaway/cutaway in case of entanglement.

I tried using a 5ft as primary hose length, it was too short for me (i'm 5ft 9). The 7 foot has to be tucked under by hip belt but I have no issues with that.

Be sure to use a rubber hose for your long hose. They route, tuck, and pull so much better than miflex and they don't float like miflex. I have the 7 footer from Halcyon and I like it alot.

For your necklace, use a length of bungee zip tied to the mouth piece. I keep mine fairly tight so i can grab it without hands.

I also use the EXACT same alternate as what my primary is. They stay on the same service intervals and are meant to be used interchangably. On a Grand Cayman trip this past week I actually had to donate to someone in my group (not my buddy... his buddy was nowhere to be found) in fear he was going to lose his primary as he was separated from his BP/W :( It was comforting to know that my first breath from my alternate was going to be trouble free.... and it was.

Back
Top Bottom