Hero 5 Session cutting off at Depth

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Landlocked123

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
So my hero session is doing something strange. I am trying to get footage of some dives my buddy and I have been doing in the 120-130 foot range. The camera keeps cutting out and stopping recording around the 72-75 foot range. I read somewhere that the pressure may be causing the buttons to be depressed? I have had my Hero 3 Silver down to 100 feet for years and no issues. Has anyone had this issue? I am using the Go Scope case for the hero 5 Session

if it isn't leaking and works above 70ft, that sounds about right. either a weak spring on the button or the case is flexing.

So what if I flooded the inside of the housing 100% as in took the camera in and out after submerged. This way there would be no air inside and I am thinking since fluids cant be compressed should that not avoid the issue? the session is waterproof anyway? thoughts?

the session is waterproof to 2ATA and if the case is bending in then it would allow the flooded housing to reach pressures greater than what the camera is rated for.
also as odd as it sounds i had the same issue with my session and found that getting a bigger badder faster memory card fixed the problem (have no idea why but it did). put my old memory card in my hero 3 and its not had a problem.

Interesting thought. Let us know how it works!
But traveling a little further down that train of thought - the camera is waterproof, but it is not liquid filled and non-compressible. There has to be some air space inside the camera. I think you will just be transferring the pressure on the outside of your case to the camera inside, and actually subjecting it to the full pressure at depth, or whatever fraction is being transmitted due to any "flex" in the case, possibly making it worse. You might just be passing along enough pressure above and beyond the 1 ATM the camera alone is designed for, to do some damage.

oh oh.. that makes sense... happy you posted up... agree might backfire... Bowers to confirm you were having the same issue at similar depths? what type of card did you get that addressed the issue?

mine would work great at the surface and down to about 10-15 feet then stop. as i imagine you did, i tried many times to trouble shoot and assume something was wrong that had nothing to do with depth, but i kept finding the common denominator was how deep i was.

this is the new one that works in my hero:
9775A7FA-B529-4771-BED3-CE4A0155869D.jpeg

below is the old one that my session could not use at depth but my hero 3 does fine with:
81492E27-5E43-40A0-8F46-86317FE989C5.jpeg

Thank you very much for posting. I am going to pick one up tomorrow. Pretty sure the one i have in there now is the same on you have at the bottom. Here is what i don't understand though.. the case is rated to 180 feet. There was only a tiny hint of moisture inside the housing after the dive which I attribute to the 45 degree water outside the housing. I don't think pressure is getting in through the case so it makes no sens as to how its affecting the camera... very odd.. but again thanks for posting up. I will let you know how it goes on Saturday.

Same here got a goscope 180 foot rated housimg hero 5 session and every time i dove 110 to 130 foot wrecks it messes up.......it saos repairimg file and then takes timelapse photos even though i have it set to video only........i even had gopro semd me a new camera thinking it was just a faulty camera......got a new one n very first dive was 125 feet deep n ****** up immediately.....i even reformatted the sd before the dive.......what other sds are better than sandisk extreme???

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom