End of Free Nitrox in Bonaire?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Red_Rock_Diver

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Just received the 2019 price list for Dive Friends and I discovered that there is now a cost for Nitrox. For example - Unlimited shore diving for 6 days $ 180.00 Air $ 200.00 Nitrox. Granted, it is a small increase but Bonaire has always advertised itself as the home of free Nitrox.

Has anyone heard if the other dive operators on Bonaire are going to also end the practice of "free Nitrox"?

I have attached the 2019 Dive Friends price list for reference.

Attachments

• DFB Price List 2019.pdf
    215.3 KB · Views: 92
First I have heard of it. I have to believe that Nitrox is more expensive than air to fill so not terribly surprising. I would throw in another $20 to have it but of course prefer not to.

My wife and I booked 2 weeks at Den Laman and Dive Friends for April, $20 per week, per person, for nitrox. Been going to Bonaire since 2004, first time I'm paying for nitrox :(. I'll be asking DF, why the change? Wonder if other operators are doing the same? I hear DF is very busy, very successful.

I hear DF is very busy, very successful.
They have set a record for number of divers this month. I will ask about nitrox tomorrow. News to me as well but sounds like its a done deal. :(

Look forward to what you learn
Per Dive Friends. There has been an island wide increase in electricity rates and since the nitrox takes an extra step and so more electricity it now costs them enough more that they elected to add the cost to the nitrox users.

If electricity rates are up likely we will see rate increases elsewhere as well, especially resort and condo rentals.

Just received the 2019 price list for Dive Friends and I discovered that there is now a cost for Nitrox. For example - Unlimited shore diving for 6 days $ 180.00 Air $ 200.00 Nitrox. Granted, it is a small increase but Bonaire has always advertised itself as the home of free Nitrox.

Has anyone heard if the other dive operators on Bonaire are going to also end the practice of "free Nitrox"?

I have attached the 2019 Dive Friends price list for reference.
Seriously? We're concerned with an extra $20 for a week's worth of UNLIMITED Nitrox diving (when Nitrox is more expensive to fill than plain air)? If this is a problem for folks, they need to pick a new hobby!

I just looked at Wannadive's price list and they have a $20 premium for Nitrox as well. My hunch is I will be shelling that out when there next month. It is still way less than Nitrox costs anywhere else. Most places are usually $10 a tank.

Huh. I guess they should have just made it $200 for six days of unlimited diving with FREE NITROX! Then everybody would still think that they were getting a deal... :)

Buddy Dive has not announced any rate increases for Nitrox, but has released their 2019 rate sheet....so it looks like they'll be holding the line. Since they make their own electricity, maybe that's the difference.

Back
Top Bottom